Blue Oak Trail

Blue Oak Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Friant, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

lots to see. good view of the lake. adequate amounts of shade. not good for small kids

Best in the winter when the Bald Eagles are here and the snakes aren't. Dogs are not allowed on state park trails although I've seen a few.

Great for winter months due to the low elevation. In the spring and summer I prefer higher elevations due to rattle snakes. Great for dogs!

The trail itself is nice and easy, even for beginning hikers. It starts at the Blue Oak campsite and is clearly marked. The road runs parallel to it until about half way, which is as far as we went. Sadly, once we got to McKenzie Point there were a bunch of rattlesnakes and we decided not to cross them so we turned around. The wildflowers were gorgeous this year and I'm glad we went. But danger of rattlesnakes? No thanks.

Did not see any Bald Eagles alas! However,
the wild flowers are plentiful. Saw Popcorn flower, Lupine, Shooting Star, Fiddleneck, Brodiaea, Baby Blue Eyes and many others.

It was a great location for a run.

We deviated from the path and followed some cow trails down to the shore. There was no set path, and it was a work out, going up and downhill. Way better the. The set pathway.

This is a very good beginners trail.

Easy to get to and makes for a perfect beginners mountain bike trail

Easy trail, but nice views of the lake.

The beginning of the hike was a bit hard to find because it's literally next to the main road (which led to some nice rock climbing), but once we found it, it was quite nice for beginners! Only saw one other person, oh! and during the winter there is no fee. :)

did this trail this morn, really enjoyed it very peaceful....will def do it again

I did this trail in early October.. I think I would have been better to hike during the winter

10 dollar entrance fee, but the hike is pleasant. Lots of wildflowers still when I went. Lake is only a few feet from the trail, with many opportunities to take a dip if it gets too hot. Generally a good walk.

Completed trail in early February 2012. Weather was warm. Took my two little ones (10 year old girl and 12 year old boy - the red heads). Really easy trail. Nice and quiet. Spent the day snacking and fishing, but didn't catch anything. There is a 10 dollar fee to enter.

Easy hike for fall, winter, and early spring. Summer can get too hot.