Mendocino Headlands Trail

Mendocino Headlands Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mendocino, CA that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2.5 miles 95 feet Point to Point

beach

cave

Easy trail along the bluffs. Great views

Amazing sunrise and sunset views of the coast. There were a few spots where you could get down to the beach as well. A very easy trail with almost no elevation change unless you go down to the beach.

Beautiful scenery

Absolutely beautiful! So many beautiful spots and a couple beach access trails. 100% recommend this trail it's so pretty! Everywhere you look there is an amazing view. If you visit Mendocino you should definitely visit this trail and even if you only walk a little part of the trail it is a must do!

Awesome views of the bluffs and the ocean with several hidden beaches! Spectacular sunset! Our dogs love the trails!

A great walk with spectacular views of the rocky coast, assuming the weather cooperates. This is what I think of when I think of Mendocino, CA, and whenever I get the chance to visit, I always go back to these trails. Very accessible, and often crowded, but the reason for its popularity is pretty clear. We did this on a windy Wednesday, when the fog had just let up, and despite the weather, it was still pretty amazing.

This is an easy walk that can be started from any number of locations including the Ford House Museum.
This is where I started my most recent walk on Jan. 1 2013--this was a special State Park guided hike with a history lecture included. Interestingly, even though it was windy, our tour guide brought photographs of the lumber mill and timber loading chutes remnants of which she pointed out as we walked.

Even without the guided history lecture this is one of the most beautiful spots on the north coast. I rate it a 4, even though it can be somewhat crowded on weekends, due to its exceptional beauty. Also, you can bird watch, whale watch or just take in the scenery with or without a camera. On New Years Day at 8:30 AM there was no crowd at all.

Spectacular beauty! Nice walking trail with incredible ocean edge views.