Medicine Lake Volcano, Mount Hoffman - Standard Summit Route

Medicine Lake Volcano, Mount Hoffman - Standard Summit Route is a 13.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tulelake, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

13.3 miles 2047 feet Out & Back

Via Forest Service Roads and attached GPS track with optional ski descent This was a LONG, LONG ski ascent and descent. I would suggest doing this trip in the summer if you are looking to bag the highest point of the Medicine Lake Volcano. I have it in my head that I want to ski all the cascade volcanoes so we went in with skins on for this long trek over mostly low-incline terrain. You have the ability when the forest service roads are clear of snow of significantly cutting down the mileage of this trip. We had to stop a couple miles past the Door Knob Snowmobile Park which cut off a little bit of road but not enough for our liking. Because we wanted to ski this, we went in with skins on which was slow going for the nearly 7 miles to the top mostly following on the roads covered with snow. At about 6,600 feet we left the road and made a bee-line for the high point. There are not many views on this trip, except for the very top which gives you a view down towards Medicine Lake. The trip out isn't steep enough, especially in sticky wet snow, to have much fun skiing out. We left our skins off and our heels free to make it a bit easier. It is technically easy but difficult because of the long mileage and flat terrain within trees.

No one has reviewed this trail yet. Be the first!