McGinty Mountain Trail

McGinty Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jamul, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

From northern or western San Diego, take the 54 East and merge onto the 94 East. The 94 eventually turns back into the 54, or, Jamacha Blvd. Pass the shopping centers and make your first right on Willow Glen Drive. Make your first right onto Steele Cyn Rd. where you will see signs for the Cottonwood Golf Course. Make your first left onto Jamul Drive. Drive carefully up the canyon for a couple miles and turn left into the dirt lot where the trailhead is located. From southern San Diego, or Campo area, drive up the 94 until you see Lyons Valley Rd. Turn right onto Lyons Valley, and left onto Jamul Drive. Right after you pass the Jamul Community Church, the trailhead parking lot will be on your right.

1 hour ago

Awesome and so much fun. Some steep areas where you may have to use your hands but overall not bad.

A nice workout, beautiful and varied rock and red earth. Scrambling optional! Hiked today, no one else on trail. Easy to get to — love the trail signs. Beautiful views.

I love this hike!! Easy to get too, enough parking and very clear path!! It was definitely a workout so make sure you take enough water. Amazing views!!

Stunning views of Jamul and all the way back to downtown San Diego and Point Loma if the day is clear enough. Steep at start but nothing crazy. Keep your eye out for old prospecting holes all over the mountain!

I've done this many times from different approaches and each approach and descent is unique. I approached from Jamul Road then up the designated trail. If your biking, 60% is hike-a-bike if your a weekend warrior. I descended to the golf course, eventually. To exit, you must travel on private property and the golf course. So, be respectful and perhaps travel in small groups. Overall, the descent is one of the best in San Diego with two 3 mile sections with the lover section being more developed and the upper being rocky and very bushy.

Great view from the top. Took me almost 2.5 hours to complete.

Absolutely recommend this trail. Evenly dispersed steep areas throughout the trail with rest areas alike, makes it a very enjoyable hike. Filled with different views of Jamul, the climate changes throughout the hike also makes it one of my favorite relaxing spots in San Diego. With very little people ever around, it makes it a good area to get away from the crowds and get in sync with your thoughts. There is also a small cave you see once you are close to the top that I am definitely checking out on my next hike.

This is a nice one. Clearly marked with super cute markers. Quiet with great views. We went in Spring so lots of flowers. Like most San Diego County trails, temperatures warm up quickly. Chaparral and no shade. Negligible breeze. Terrain was rocky. There were hardly any critters, just bugs and birds.
It was really enjoyable with cool temps.

I have hiked all over..three sisters..Mt wilson..San miguel..cowles..iron mtn..fortuna..Kwaay Paay etc..I'd call this hike 30 percent harder than Cowles and twice as long..moderate for a fir daily hiker and hard for a weekend warrior..bring half gallon water and hike on a cooler day or in morning. took me hour and half..

OK so I hike quite a bit. I have not been on top of Mt Whitney yet but have done 3 Sisters..been at top of San Miguel..Iron Mountain and up Cowles..Fortuna..Pyles Peak..Kwaay Paay and more. Hardest I have done to date is Mt Wilson and locally I'd say 3 Sisters. This hike is moderate for a daily hiker and I'd call it hard for a weekend warrior. I actually have at at 5.6 miles on my GPS watch. I'd says it's 30 percent harder than Cowles Mountain and twice as long in total. Bring a half gallon of water if it's hot and enjoy..

Go early morning is a beautiful hick

go early morning itsa beutiful hick

just hiked this one on 5.14.16. it was a good hike! it was super-foggy, but somehow we found our way up. it gets rocky, but the rocks are manageable.