Martis Peak Trail

Martis Peak Trail is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kings Beach, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

9.4 miles 1983 feet Out & Back

A beautiful system of trails sitting below Matis Peak overlooking the North Shore ofLake Tahoe. Open year round.

My girlfriend and I did this in November with bright blue skies (mid 50*s) and no snow on the ground except for a few sparse areas. The trailhead was easy to find right off highway 267. The beginning of the hike was nothing special, but after the first mile it really is a nice trail. Moderate climb with easy to follow and well marked trail. This hike is part of the Tahoe Rim Trail and follows it for quite a few miles. When you get to the top, don't forget to walk up the paved road to the CDF fire lookout tower for a great 360* view. You have views of the lake, Northstar Ski Resort, and the Airport all from the lookout. I give this 5 stars due to the perfect weather and un popular time of the year. I could imagine when its busy and mountain bikers are flying by it could be an issue, but we saw about 4 people all day and two cyclists at the top who drove up.

Beautiful trail- is a new top favorite for the family scenery wise. I carried my 2 1/2 year old in a pack for this hike. The last 1- 0.5 or so is on a steep paved access road. We came across a lot of bikers going way too fast- coming down as we were hiking up. Most didn't bother slow down, requiring us to quickly jump out of the way.

Absolutely amazing views from the Martis Peak fire lookout. The trail was in good shape all the way up. This I would consider a moderate level hike. Started at the Brockway Summit (Highway 267). When you reach the paved road up to the fire lookout, the climb gets steep. Be careful along the trail for mountain bikes coming down. Bikers get dropped off at the lookout and travel down to Brockway Summit. Along the trail you come across some nice views of Lake Tahoe. But the real views are from the fire lookout. From there, you can see Lake Tahoe, Donner, Prosser, Boca and Stampede Lakes. My son and I had a picnic at the picnic table below the fire lookout before heading back down the mountain. There is also a public bathroom at the lookout. A great hike with amazing views.

Completed this hike today and 99% of it was in the snow. Started from the 267. Enough snowmobilers and snowshoers have gone up this road to where there was a path all the way up. Plus, the snow made a novice hike somewhat of a work out. Even with the snow my moving time round-trip was 2 hrs 45 min. The views at the look out next to the summit are unreal. Almost a 360 degree view of the north Tahoe area. I definitely recommend this hike as a warm up for another adventure. Don't drive up! Get out there and enjoy the outdoors.

Rode Monday the 4th in the rain at 40 degrees with no body else on the entire mountain! Survived a really cold decent from Martis but returned on Friday the 8th for sun and 80 degree plus temps. A bit more crowded on Fri but not a problem except at the decent on the steep trail down to the pipeline road trailhead. East end of the trail system was deserted and spectacular!