Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park Loop Trail

Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Coloma, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My kids & I (10 & 8yrs old) drove up to Coloma. It was not very busy. The trail was moderately difficult for me. Only seen one other couple on the trail. We had a great time together!! I did not realize it was a loop trail we went to monument and then back down the way we came. Said 1.5 miles on Fitbit but was 611 calories burned!! We also gold panned!! Good day!

It was ok. We started late and ended up going down the way we came after we realized following the trail would take us way farther away from our car and it was not really a loop unless you count going along the road as a loop. We did see fresh scat on the trail. Possibly mountain lion.

Although there's lots of people in the "downtown" area of the park, the hiking trail wasn't crowded at all when I went. In fact, I only ran into 4 people in about a period of around 2 hours. I accessed the trail by driving up Califonia's shortest highway- highway 153. At the top of the road is a parking lot and the trailhead is across the road. When you start the trail, it's semi-steep and there's picnic tables at the top of the hill. Once you start going down the hill, there's a fork in the trail and I was not impressed with the amount of signage. I went to the right only because I ran into people at the fork that told me if I went right, I'd end up in the downtown park of the park. That unfortunately meant that I had to walk along the busy road for about half an hour just to get back to the parking lot to my car. Just a heads up: If you park in the downtown area and start the trail there where I exited, there's an extremely steep hill you'll have to climb up.
Overall the trail was nice, I just wish there was signage showing where the trail went off towards the left when you hit the fork.

UPDATE: I have returned and I've gone right at the fork. If you do go right, you wind around some paths downhill for a bit and end up in the downtown area anyway. So regardless of whether or not you go left or right you end up at roughly the same spot. On the signage you're told that if you go left there's some sort of beach, there's not. Bummer I know.

Very clearly marked, fun to see all the rafters going down the river

Nice trail with historical sites around the Gold Rush era. Currently, detour at beginning of trail due to bridge repair. First .5 mile pretty steep up fire road. Nice picnic area next to river .