Marshall Canyon Trail

Marshall Canyon Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Claremont, CA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mix of Single Track and fire road.

fun!!!

excellent

Good

great and very scenic. good if you like that nature walk but still close to home type thing. it's not very "in the wilderness" (the trail crosses through a golf course) but it's still very beautiful and very scenic. I've gone as far as the gazebo at the top of the hills about 8 or so miles in. my cross country team used to do runs here alot so it's really a HIKE to where u need to pack alot of gear. one or two bottles of water and some comfy shoes and you'll be fine. if u run short on water, just ask one of the many cross country runners that train up there. they'll definitely have water on em haha.

amazing!!!

amazing trail.. i love it!!

My first MTB experience came 2016-0918+0500 ([yyyy-mmdd+hhmm] = Sunday, Sept 18, 2016 at 5am). Though I cycle around the city for exercise, I was unprepared for the event.

Discovery #1. I need a better light.
The people who brought me had lights that projected far and bright, so I could see well what was upcoming. Mine could illuminate, but not so clearly as to pick out a line to travel, so I stayed behind them most of the way up.

Discovery #2. The trail is poorly marked.

Discovery #3. I need a digital tire pressure gauge.
One of my friends insisted that I ride up the trail with a full firm tires, even though everything I've read said to lower my fat bike pressure to 8-10 lbs of tire pressure, but he was insistent. Once the ride began, I found myself having to lower tire pressure a few times on the way up as road conditions changed; and especially when starting downhill. Then my front became over-deflated, and combined with my inexperience, I found the bike's handling wanting to pull to the left, and controlling the bike got rather difficult on the way down. I did crash a few times, but attribute my downtime to rider inexperience instead of equipment malfunction.

Discovery #4. I need to change my gear ratio.
I primarily ride on the street, and find my gear ratio too low toI discovered my single 38t gear upfront and 7 speed 34t in back is not low enough a gear for ascending the short uphill sections at the start of Marshall, so I ended up walking my bike a lot. Got to some park bench area, which seemed a natural rest area for visitors; then turned around to go back.

Discovery #5. Starting early has its advantages.
I've heard that hikers do not like MTB'ers because they are thought to be inconsiderate when flying past them. I discovered early MTB riding is an easy way to reduce the number of obstacles in the trail, be it biker or hiker, but the early AM start time is discouraging. However, as an inexperienced MTB rider, I found their absence to be a blessing.

Discovery #6 Fauna.
Saw a deer 10 yards away.

Discovery #7. (Has nothing to do with Marshall) I need new a wheel set & tire combination
After the ride, my friends weighed my bike with a shipping scale. My Momentum Rocker by Giant weighs 35.8 lbs. That was surprising to them. I had found only one post that listed the bike at 34._ lbs but had my reservations. Putting my bike on the shipping scale brought resolution to this year long quandary. While I ask you to weigh your own Momentum Rocker, you may want to keep in mind one post weighing the bike at 34, and another listing the bike at 35.

After weighing the complete bike, we removed the wheels and weighed the bike again. The scale read 16lbs!

This means the wheels of my Momentum Rocker by Giant weigh nearly a 20lbs combined! That shocked me and everybody. Again, without tires, the Momentum Rocker by Giant weighs 16 pounds;
'
I am pretty certain that Fat Tire Wheel Sets have been advertised at under 5 lbs a pair, and Fat Tires under 4 lbs a pair. This discovery means with an upgrade of a lightweight wheel set & tire combination, the complete fat bike could be under 25 lbs. A 25 lb fat bike is unheard of for $620, but add a new wheel set for $500 or so, and it becomes very possible when upgrading the Momentum Rocker by Giant. Giant/Momentum does not plan to build another Fat Bike model in the future, from what I heard (and Momentum says riding the Rocker on a trail will violate its lifetime warranty, just fyi).

Weighing my friend's bikes without tires, both my friends' bike's weight came in at about 19 lbs but they have suspension forks, which probably attributed to the variance from my weight. Thus, perhaps my greatest discovery from Sunday's ride, did not come from the ride, but followed after the ride, when we weighed bikes. The basic weight of the Rocker makes it worth upgrading wheels and tires, and though there is a fat bike derailleur mount available, the odd design at the rear of the frame which accommodates its freewheel hub does limit the range of the chain ring, and may make a 2x or 3x crank set an impossibility.

I may post an update to announce my discoveries for anyone interested, especially for other Rocker riders who want to upgrade their bikes who may find my experience useful.

In conclusion, it may be considered an easy trail for experienced riders, but it is certainly a challenge for new comers. I was taken as far into the trail as my hosts thought my skill could surpass, and then rode back. There were plenty of MTB riders and several hikers this particular Sunday morning.

I expect greater riding skills, like getting your bike to hop over obstacles, develops with practice, but starting with the proper gearing would help ensure I remain on the trail, and complete more of the trail next time I go out. Afterwards, I might be able to contribute a more valuable assessment of the trail, albei

It's rated easy, but if your out of shape it's moderate. It's shady with a great view.

Trail was very pretty but not clearly defined. Trail signs aren't clear and it's easy to find yourself taking an alternate fork and becoming separated from the main trail.

All in all a descent outing.

Bad experience. Like other commenters, lack of signs at the beginning and and bad signs throughout hike. If you start off with the All Trails map and take the path on the left at the fork, you will get lost near the end after 2.75-3miles. You will stray from the red line shown and there will be multiple forks. Take the fire trail, not the one shown in All Trails. While I didn't mind the little adventure of getting lost, my girlfriend was not happy. There is a tag that mentions a river however there was no river on the path we took. I should have read the other comments before going.

Also this is not an easy hike due to some of the steepness, length, and lack of direction.

Good hiking trail but needs better signs to give better directions. Should have a porta-potty somewhere.

I really like to go here if I want a nice easy stroll and relax. It's very pretty and easy to follow the trail.

Big Time Sux!!!!! No signs and got lost and dead ends on trails. No beautiful tree scenery at all. I won't be back, unless with someone who actually knows where to hike and where there going.

Poor poor signs. Took the wrong trail, due to no signs.

it's a really good trail. Hiked it this morning. great way to start the day. Only thing that it needs to get better signs to lead hikers to the correct path. I ended up going the wrong way and turned a 4 mile hike into a 6 mile hike.

One of my favorite hikes to date. There was lots of shade and the trial was well maintained. The only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 was due to all of the side trails and lack of directional signs. It can be a bit confusing. I was actually thankful for the mountain bikers who told us how to get back on the main trail.