Mammoth Rock Trail

Mammoth Rock Trail is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Mammoth Lakes, CA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This was a great trail the views were spectacular. About a half mile in we seen a group of deer and as we entered into the pine trees we heard branches breaking and looked up into a tree above us and there was a brown bear staring down at us. So we moved along and let him be. Beauty at its finest.

This hike is ok. It's probably a good hike for people new to Mammoth or those that prefer not to go into the wilderness. This trail has great views of the town and Mammoth Rock. Other than that, there is not a lot to see compared to other trails. Most of the trail, starting at Old Mammoth Road, is easy, with sections of large rocks. The end, getting near Sherwin Creek Rd, starts to look and feel more like Southern California. Lots of dead scrub brush, few trees, sandy and quite painful on a hot day as there is little shade. There are 2 unsigned junctions. To stay on the official trail, stay left at the first junction, and take a right at the second one. You should come out at Sherwin Creek Rd near the Mammoth Motocross area.

I was the only hiker that day. I saw 2 runners, and 5 or 6 mountain bikers. This trail is probably much more fun on a mountain bike, though it has exposure and certain sections are a bit technical.

One of my favs when I'm home.

Great views of Mammoth Mountain, Mammoth Rock and the valley, including views of Snowcreek Golf Course. Weather was a little breezy at the start of the trail, but as we gained altitude, the mountain sheltered us from the wind. Views are truly remarkable, and except for a few gains in altitude, I found this trail easy. Although it was mid May (shoulder season), we met half a dozen mountain bikers, all very courteous to make sure they didn't run us, or our dog, off the trail. Very few hikers, so you get a lot of privacy on this trail. Including photo opportunities, allow 5 hours for this fun hike.

Nice trail with great views. I have friends who run this trail without a problem. Not a lot of shade.

beautiful...good weather !!!http://www.mattressland.co.uk/

Moderate out and backing starting from the Sherwin Creek side. Sandy and steep near the start. Rest of the trail is relatively smooth with a gradual uphill. A lot of open views of Mammoth town and mountains including of course Mammoth Rock. Watch for cyclist.

Beautful trail with fantastic views. Easy

This is a multi use trail. You should expect to see horses,hikers and mountain bikers. This is a epic trail that will offer you spectacular views! I have mountain biked this trail numerous times. I have had close encounters with Mule Deer! Because my bike is rather stealth, I have gotten within 30 ft of deer. You could out/back or up/down hike this trail or you could get dropped off at the top and Hike/bike down. I ride from my house up to the top and then ride down. This trail requires intermediate/advanced skills to safely mountain bike. Great trail!