Main Divide Road

Main Divide Road is a 20.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lake Elsinore, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

20.4 miles 6056 feet Point to Point

scenic driving

off road driving

Can't take Razors or Mavericks on the trail. Was told by forest service today. Couldn't rate the rest of the trail because I never got to do it. But getting there was easy.

off road driving

great trail glad to see it so active but lots of speeding drivers be safe yall

off road driving

Great trail for 4x4. If you don't have high clearance or a 4x4 you will struggle with the trail. Did it in a Ram Powerwagon, it was tight in some bits but made it with zero issues. You take the directions off the Ortega Highway for Bluejay campground, continue straight and once you hit a gravel road, there's a white gate on the left. Drive through and enjoy. Did there and back in about three hours. Lot's of scenic views and a good way to test different aspects of your 4x4.

This trail was so much fun! Tacoma double cab sport took it on. Some deep crevices but stock could prob make it. A little bit of everything on this one. Flat trail, rocky trail, scenic all rolled into one. Hard to find. Make a right at North main divide, it's a paved road, go up about three miles and it'll be on your left. Alot of fun!

The directions on this app are wrong. This trail is a bit hard to get to but once you do there are great views! Trail traffic is almost non-existent. There are a few large ruts in the road, but my king quad had to problem going over it. I would suggest a 4x4.

off road driving

Great time...brought my Polaris RZR 1000 turbo had no problems with the terrain, great views!!

off road driving

Took my Subaru Outback out for a spin today on the trail. Saw some awesome views and beautiful terrain! Definitely doable with any 4x4 drive car, my Subaru did fine but definitely would have been helpful to have a little more ground clearance. Only got about 8 miles in before turning around so I didn't do the complete trail but had a great time! Very highly recommended!!!

off road driving

Very fun drive. My wife and I took our dogs out for some 4x4 fun. There were a few spots that you could tell people chickened out on, leaving some big ruts in the road while they turned around after being stuck. All in all the trip was beautiful and very easily managed outside of 4x4. We have a Toyota 4Runner. There's a lot of different routes to take. I'm not sure if it comes out on the other side, but we have spent hours out there having fun. We stop to let the dogs out regularly and they can't get enough! Stop often and hike up for some spectacular views, particularly during sunrise/sunset.

we tried to off road today, but the white gate was closed.

off road driving

Update to my review for any first timers. If your following the apps directions through your smart phone it's going to route you to make a left or right turn into nothing/no entrance depending on where your coming from. Don't let this confuse you as there is a road with a sign that says main divide. For me coming from Lake Elsinore I needed to make a right into this road which was about a quarter mile before my Navigation said to make a left to get onto the starting road.

Now drive until you see I think it's called blue jay campground, pass that about another 1.5 miles until you wrap around a mountain and to your far left will see an open white gate leading up into a rocky trail. Now the trail actually begins (4x4 mandatory)

off road driving

Had a great time yesterday with my kids and Fiancé off roading in our new 2015 Ford F-150 4x4 Sport. It was a nice break in course and close to home since we're from Lake Elsinore but definitely ready for some rougher terrain given how easy the truck took on this one. Overall great time though.

off road driving

This is a great off road experience for my first time. Not too difficult, but a great place to get a good feel and learn your vehicle when off roading. Depending on what part of the road you start and head there were some steep roads (but uphill and downhill) with lots of rocks. Overall a very fun place to visit with lots of long trails. Found my way out at Indian truck trail. Have come back at least 2 more times since and visited the Santiago peak (radio towers)

off road driving

Fun trail ride! It is really bumpy due to the rocks which can get old after a while, but the views are awesome! To get to the trail start on North Main Divide Truck Trail, not the one where the pin is. Besides that confusion it was pretty simple to find. Also once you get to the top you can take Indian Truck Trail out and it will drop you off close to I-15. This is shorter than following the main divide and similar in difficulty level. We had a great time though!

off road driving

I did the south section of this trail. The trail was easy, that is if the highest and drop offs don't unnerve you. I was heading to the Wildomar OHV trail from Ortega hwy. I only did 6 mils of this trail and decided to turn back as it was getting late.

off road driving

We enjoyed the trail. Scene views of Lake Elsinore and the Ocean were beautiful. It was bumpy, rocky and hard for us beginners to find the right roads but buying a GPS might help us. We did run into very light snow and ice on the ground. Also, no identifiable birds or animals(one squirrel. The views and at times forest atmosphere of clean air and nature were fabulous.

off road driving

Pretty mellow of a trail a real easy drive a nice little hint when you get to the big radio tower thing bang hard right opposite the tower and there's a steep little climb great view and neat little camp fire spot. Also if heading back toward Ortega highway bang a left on the side trail only a couple 100 feet past that little climb pretty cool little trail to drive 4x4 and a little more recommended.

off road driving

in our truck 28 miles took a long time but the view is sweet! we picked up two different people on this trip... a biker that couldnt make it to the top and when we got to the top two guys that had a car break down on them.... always be aware of the worst that can happen and be ready for it when you drive somewhere that most people can't get to. a toe truck cost at lowest $200 a hour. just an FYI. next time we go I want to park and hike because in the car with bumps for 4 hours isnt going to cut it for me.

off road driving

This was a fun time and beautiful scenery! My wife and I and our dog Dyna are new to Southern California and to the off road lifestyle. We decided to take the afternoon and try to find a trail close to Lake Elsinore. We packed up the Jeep and followed the map provided here. Not good...not even close to be honest. The pins showing trail are not even close. Totally on wrong side of the highway actually. We spent 2 hrs trying to find a trail that was not even there. So for those of you like us who are not familiar with the area or common trails please know that the trail starts well on the Northern side of the Ortega Hwy where the pin drop is. You must go into the park past Blue Jay Campground and then turn left into white gate a mile or so past campground. Once we finally found it, it was great! Being new to off-roading we did not know what to expect. We read it was moderate. The reviews we found showed everything from being able to do trail in a "Honda Civic" to needing 4 wheel drive on loose shale sections. We took our time and never took our Wrangler out of 2 wheel drive but know for a fact you couldn't navigate this trail with a Honda Civic (stock anyway) if you were Captain Offroad America! So pack a lunch, be in a truck or SUV and head out for a beautiful journey! It was amazing!