Lower Otay Lake

Lower Otay Lake is a 5.3 mile out and back trail located near Chula Vista, CA. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options.

So beautiful

Went there with my two young kids and we have a good time, the path is easy and fun for beginners, nice ride nice view.

My wife and my first time riding at Lower Otay Lake and we had a lot of fun. The occasional wood bridge and small jumps kept things interesting and had us laughing. We'll definitely be back.

good trail....ups and downs...not to difficult.

Only went about 3 miles, 30 yards from shore line. It was beautiful. I encountered a few mountain bikers, and everyone was very friendly.

This is a scenic trail around a man-made lake, good for biking and hiking. It is relatively flat, with some ups and downs and little bumps. There are some wooden bridges, two of which go over water. If you have good balance and are confident, you can make it across them on a bike, but if you have doubts and try to put your foot down, it and possibly you are going into some very stinky, shallow, brown water. There are a few little jumps in a couple places. The path is narrow, with lots of twists and turns, so you always need to look and listen for bikers coming from the opposite direction, particularly on weekends. Wildlife along the trail are mostly little birds and rabbits, and occasionally hawks flying overhead (although one time I came upon an apparently injured hawk standing on the side of the path). One time I came upon a rattle snake resting on the trail, and one other time I saw what appeared to be a fox. The trail does not go completely around the lake. The longest possible route is to go from the boat landing on the southwest side, up to the clearing on the north end of the lake, then onto the road for a little bit until you get back onto the path to go south to a point where the trail ends. You can enter the trail in the middle, though, behind Mountain Hawk Park, and go either north or south for a shorter ride.

This review, is the same from the upper otay lake trail. It's a nice trail where you can fish, mountain bike, picnic, row. it's open wed - sunday. the trail will continue to the upper lake and it's a perfect trail for the beginner. It does have nice views and do recommend for everyone. 2 miles east is where one can skydive. people should learn about this place to come and enjoy..I sugest you read Afoot and Afield is a book about trails in San Diego.

Very nice flat trails. Narrow in sections. Views of the lake are worth the trip. Bring your fishing poles and make a day of it. You can also rent boats if you like.

This trail has beautiful views of the reservoir and very little up and downs. However, the trail is very narrow and bikers and hikers share the way. Be very careful and alert as you walk this trail. You will come to parts of the trail that are not marked well and you have to persevere to get back on track (like walking through the boat dock for the Olympic Training Center). You also cannot get very close to the dam anymore. We started our hike at the intersection of Olympic Parkway and Wueste Road and headed south with the lake to our left. We hiked all the way to Otay Lake County Park and walked one of their trails that put us on top of a mountain overlooking the damn. We also could see all the way to downtown San Diego.