Lower Lola Montez Lake Trail

Lower Lola Montez Lake Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Soda Springs, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September.

Directions from Truckee: Travel west on Hwy. #80 and take the Soda Springs exit. On the north side of the freeway follow the paved road east past the fire station for 0.3 miles to the parking area.

Awesome

very pretty once your off the service road.

I would actually rate this hike as moderate instead of easy due to one good hill climb. The trail itself isn't really all that pretty or scenic and you can hear the traffic from I-80 for the first mile. There was no water in either of the 2 river crossings. Lower Lola Montez Lake is gorgeous and there's a great place to take a dip on the left side of the lake near some granite slabs. The lake makes this hike worth while.

This used to be an annual favorite for my family. My last to trips up have been like walking along the highway. Overcrowded - trash - not what it used to be. I think the proximity and ease of access have ruined this once pristine day hike. Too bad.

I finally got to Lola Montez Lake after a couple of failed attempts. Once the snow was too high, and another time the creek was to big to cross. Since then someone made a little log bridge across the creek which makes crossing it possible (if slightly precarious) without taking off your boots and wading. I don't know why i keep going in the spring; possibly because my old hiking book says this trail gets a lot of use in the summer.

There was still plenty of snow but it was fairly firm. Still, if someone hadn't hiked it a day or two before me I don't know if I'd have been able to follow the last part of the trail which crosses a big meadow.

Good hike. Great views from just above the lake. Not a soul around though someone had camped there a day or two before. Still want to see it inn the summer!

Actual hiking time was 3h 15m round trip.

Great late spring hike sans almost breaking my toe on a rock while rock hopping across the river. Probably a good idea to keep your shoes on due to slippery rocks, especially if you are wearing waterproof gear. The nimble will have no problems as long as the water is low. The hike is meandering and climbing besides your initial decent. Beautiful views and amazing water at the lake. Look for a post on your left that had been hit by a fallen tree and is the junction for "Hole in the Ground" mtn bike trail that vears off to the right. You want to step over the fallen tree and climb the rock to continue toward a lake. My geeky phone map saved us from increasing our already tracked 8.2 miles to more than would have been safe.