Lower Coyote Canyon Drive

Lower Coyote Canyon Drive is a 18.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Borrego Springs, CA. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for camping and off road driving.

off road driving

off road driving

I've been up this a few times and each time it's great, the trail up is pretty easy if you have a high clearance vehicle and there's great camping at the top where it flattens out. An excellent spot to camp out and be away from the general groups roaming the desert in the winter time. And you can't beat the view in the morning when the sun comes up and hits the mountains around you.

Nice drive through desert. Recommend 4wd and high ground clearance but it's an easy drive. There is one somewhat rocky area up a moderately steep section but it isn't a challenge for a Jeep. I did most of the trail in 2wd.

I went in March and it was god-awful hot, about 97. That's why I marked the conditions as "fair." There were so many flies it was intolerable. I drove with the windows up and the AC cranked high.

There was no water in any of the crossings when I was there in March. Also, it seemed like the trail was moved so that it wouldn't pass through or over the water (if there were any) as it seems to have done in the past.

Beware that this is a seasonal trail. It usually is closed from June through September but the dates can change depending on the water level.

This is a very pretty drive.

Our hope was to make it all the way to Sheep Canyon so we could car camp at the primitive camp site there and explore Sheep and Cougar canyons as day hikes. Our Subaru Forester did fine until we reached the Bypass Road, which requires lower gearing and a couple of inches more clearance than my Forester has. We made it up the first pitch of the Bypass and set up camp. The next half mile of the Bypass is very rocky and has a few obstacles that would have stopped us, so we hiked from here to the Sheep Canyon primitive camp and back as day hike.

If you can make it up the Bypass road, there are many miles of easy dirt road through the upper valley.