Lost Palms Oasis

Lost Palms Oasis is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Desert Center, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

rock climbing

beach

From Palm Springs/Coachella Valley take Interstate 10 for 15 miles past Coachella. Exit Cottonwood Springs Road. Make a left when you exit Cottonwood Springs Road. Make a left at the Cottonwood Visitor Center and the trail is right hand side of the road

First off the "oasis" is not the reason this hike is great. Take your time and enjoy the trip. We came upon a desert tortoise near the trail that we would have missed had we been in a hurry.
We backcountry camped overnight about half way up the trail and half a mile south of the trail. Awsome stargazing. At breakfast a large tarantula came to visit.
We are going back to see bighorn sheep soon.

No big boulders around on this trail but still stunning Colorado Desert scenery. I agree that the miles posted are somewhat misleading: from the parking area and doing the Mastodon Mine loop (which is a bit strenuous but worth it), I clocked in at 11 miles-plus round trip. There are a few steep but short climbs. The palm groves and oasis are full of overgrown brush, wild yet charming. GREAT views of the Salton Sea on stark clear days.

Very nice trail, but longer than indicated. At the trail head it said 3mi (appr. 4.5km) to the oasis but this app recorded 6.5km and we didn't even finish the loop at the end, so back and forth this was 13km or even more if you complete the loop around the oasis. Be prepared for the heat and start in the morning, there is no shade at all and bring enough water and snacks.

Oasis is pretty cool, but be careful doing this trail in the summer, almost no shade along the way. I was very underprepared for this hike. I was ready for it to be over long before I was back in the car.

This is a great trail! Not difficult at all, the ups and downs are short hills, and very easy to manage. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow with the exception of a couple areas where the trail intersects with some washes... But if you pay attention, they are all marked which way to go.

The Oasis is cool, but I expected to see actual water there. There is no water to be found at all. there is green and trees, but no water. Do not expect to be able to filter water at this location at this time of year.

We camped on the hill above the oasis, it was great. Awesome star gazing!

Super fun easy hike with amazing sights!

Amazing hike in spring season . Bouldering was my favorite...hard leg workout but fun. Need to go back

Great

We hiked this trail on March 13 2016. The wildflowers on coming out. The scenery is great. There is a loop as you hike down into the oasis. The trail down going clockwise ( at the sign) is not all that easy but doable. Then keep going thru the oasis until you reach a trail going up thru a rock cut. That part of the trail is not easy but it is not too long, Just follow the small carins, Then they disappear and just keep going up. Great day.

Beautiful hike. Add in mastadon peak and you'll have a good hike

Great hike. Once you see the palms you know it was worth it. It is a long hike and there are a lot of ups and downs. The last bit is a pretty steep hike in to a canyon that was interesting getting back up.

Lots of up and down with good scenery and even a couple spots of shade of you go early in the morning. A friend and I arrived at about 10 PM on a Friday and hiked out a mile and a half before setting up our tent. The stars at night in the park are absolutely amazing. If you have the opportunity to do some backcountry camping in the park I would definitely recommend it. We started for the oasis just before sunrise the next morning and were able to get a lot of changing views as the sun came up over the mountains. Once we got to the oasis we kept going along the bottom of the canyon for another couple miles. Here the trail gets very thick with boulders and can be difficult if you have a heavy pack like we did.

This is essentially a long walk to the top of a steeper canyon where the work begins. But it is worth the effort to go down and find this oasis of palms in the middle of nothing. Very worthwhile hike.

Surprised to see this trail rated as difficult as my wife and I did it with a group in 2013 and most of us were in our 60's. However, the length of it does mean you'll be hoofing it back across the desert in the heat of the day so ability to deal with heat (bring lots of water and drink it!) is important.

Lost Palms Oasis is the longest listed day hike (7.1 miles) in Joshua Tree National Park, taking you from one palm oasis to another, only 9 miles from I-10. (Date hiked: February 16, 2013.) Read full write-up at: http://www.greeneadventures.com/2013/04/26/lost-palms-oasis-in-joshua-tree-national-park-the-longest-day-hike-in-the-park/

My family and I hiked this trail during the winter, and it wasn't very interesting... At least I can say I saw a desert oasis? Oh, and this is not a loop trail. It's an out and back trail.

Fairly busy trail, but beautiful and unique. The oasis feels like such a treat after the trek out in the heat, though it is pretty easy to moderate with slowly slopping hills and valleys. You go through washes, across rocks, through cacti groves and reach a lot of different views. Bring enough water, and if you feel up for it, going down into the canyon to sit under the trees of the oasis is great for a lunch, but remember you have to come out, and it can be a little rough hiking back up from the bottom.

Note- This is an out and back, not loop trail (if it matters)

This is a nice hike; we went in late Feb. and some wildflowers were just starting. The hike is mostly on decomposed granite pebbles with a few rocky spots. Overall, some up and down, but not much climbing. Be sure to look up- we saw a herd of Bighorn Sheep on the ridge near Lost Palms Oasis.

This is the best trail in Joshua Tree National Park. It has a very beautiful view of Salton sea and the coachella valley. I would not recommend this hike for young children