Lost Coast Trail: Mattole to Black Sands Beach

Lost Coast Trail: Mattole to Black Sands Beach is a 24.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ferndale, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

24.9 miles 3402 feet Point to Point

beach

A backpacking trip along California's most undeveloped stretch of shoreline. The Lost Coast is an 80 mile stretch of the California coast where the builders of Highway 1 decided to go around because it was too rough. This trip takes you down the Lost Coast starting at Mattole and ending at Black Sands Beach. This is a one way hike, so you need to shuttle a car to the end and then drive to the beginning. If you don't want to bring two cars, a shuttle service will pick you up at Black Sands Beach and shuttle you and your gear to Mattole (about 2 hours driving away) so you can hike back to your car.

Was amazing, know your tides and be smart with your map and miles due to the lack of signs. It just adds to the adventure!

Btw a lot of wildlife, black bear and elephant seals now! Sick place!

At first we did not like this trail! If there were trail heads, they are hard to find. We ended up hiking all the way to rattlesnake ridge the first day, and had to double back to camp on the beach huts, they were super cool! We ended up taking two days to hike back to our car, that originally took one day. But we ended up meeting a park ranger on the way back, she was super nice. Just FYI get the map from the ranger station, that's why we had such a difficult time finding trails. If you are ok with lots of sand, and a major leg work out, then this trail would be good. We saw lots of wild life, it's not very cold at night, in fact I often unzipped my sleeping bag. We did pass the impassable shore line, just be very careful. Overall, it was very fun and pretty, definitely will go back!

Incredible place, the wind, sea spray, fog,, old lighthouse, breaking waves, ozone, magical place if you look at it right, you'll be shown the light

The best 25 miles I've ever hiked.

Just completed a figure 8 of both the northern section in the King's Range (more frequently hiked) and the southern section in the Sinkyone Wilderness. We chose to hike the Southern section first so that the tides worked in our favor on the northern section. Someone had mentioned that the southern section was rugged but we weren't prepared for just how unmaintained the trail actually was. Tons of sharp steep small switchbacks from Usal to Needle Rock with lots of elevation climb and descent (you have to hike over ridges to then descend to the ocean for camping). We spend 2.5 days on the southern section in almost complete solitude... There was no one else on the trail with us until we hit Wheeler... And then people were hiking in through Needle Rock so they didn't have to set up a shuttle. It was amazing and quite possibly one of the hardest hikes I've done but definitely most rewarding. We then set up a shuttle for the northern section to hike Mattole to Black Sands Beach and went in on a Sunday which ended up being great timing because we felt we were somewhere in the middle of others hikes. The first 12 miles of the northern section is amazing and I would hike it again in a heart beat. Mattole to Cooksie was fantastic but I would just hate to hike against that northern wind! The last 10 miles of the northern section is mostly rock and sand and can be very challenging. We met plenty of people that said they would never do the trail again because of it. Again we spent our nights at the campsites either alone or with only 1 or 2 other small groups of people. It was definitely amazing. The drive out of Mattole to Eureka was a sight in and of itself! The roads are not maintained well but the views were spectacular!! I will come back for sure.

Amazing

Hiked this trail in November of 2014.

Still to this day, out of my hundreds of miles of backpacking, view this as one of the most incredible trails. Words can not describe the energy of the place and how easily it is overlooked. Don't make this mistake and do this trail if you have a chance.

I parked at the Southside and hitchiked to the north end, which took me 1.5 days. After Mattole, I headed south over 3 days and took time to enjoy it all. the people I met were amazing and the experiences were the best.

This is a non-negotiable if you love backpacking.

Beyond word. This trail is everything anyone could ask for.
We backpacked 5 days going from north to south (Mattole Beach to Usal Beach). The north section is all along the beach. Flat but sandy and rocky (and windy!) Trekking poles were a huge help. The south section was in and out of the mountains along side the ocean. Some pretty steep climbs and intense declines but every turn brings you face to face with something spectacular! Wild flowers, lush green trails, golden sunsets, nearly-tropical flora along side towering redwoods. Truly phenomenal.
I will be returning to the Lost Coast again next year!

Such a beautiful trail. Had a great time backpacking this trail. Hiked the trail in 2.5 days. Recommend hiking north to south. Because of wind will be at your back. Start at Mattole and end at Black Sand Beach. Quick not trail is mostly beach walking and sand can be deep.

Amazing trail with lots of beautiful ocean views. Be mindful of high tides. Parts are impassible during high tides. Low tides gives you the ability to see beautiful tide pools and speeds up your hiking time due to walking on compacted sand. Don't forget to stop and take in the sights

Beautiful hike. Camping can be a bit limited so it's best to try and get a camp site early.

A favorite! We did 31 miles on the lost coast and i cant wait to do it again! I went with a dog, and believe me, you absolutely need dog booties for your pooch! Hiking on the beach isn't easy, but be super mindful of high and low tides. Our group got 'stranded' on a ridge during an unexpected high-tide. Luckily, we saw approx. 30-35 grey whales while we waited!! Bring water pumps/filter, and rain-gear :) Beautiful California poppies surrounded parts of the trail! Saw tons of wildlife. Enjoy!

Great Hike! I went there with a couple friends and we entered the State Park from the south. We camped on the beach and did a short day hike. 6 Miles round trip. We turned around at Dark Gulch. We definitely didn't even scratch the surface of the place so we can't wait to go back. There were a lot more people there than we expected unfortunately and finding a camping spot on a Friday was a little difficult. Which is why we camped on the beach and not under the trees a few hundred yards away.

Note: When we were there the fog was very thick and the sea breeze kept things cool/chilly for the less insulated. The trail will take you above the fog layer so bring sunscreen as well.

This was my first backpacking trip and it was wonderful. We did a 20 mile loop instead of the whole 24.8 mile trail. You have to time your hike with the tides because there are parts of the trail that aren't passable during high tide. There are pockets of fresh water flowing into the sea so a water supply isn't an issue. Even though I didn't have any with me, it helps to hike with trekking poles to cross the small streams and gain better balance on the rocky parts of the trails.

love this trail cant wait to do it again.

loved this trail. It was Beautiful hike along the beaches of the northern California. there where alot of streams for fresh water. we did the trip in 4 day thou could be done in two