Los Pinetos Waterfall, Ridge: Oak Pass And Los Pinetos Trails

Los Pinetos Waterfall, Ridge: Oak Pass And Los Pinetos Trails is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newhall, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.0 miles 1942 feet Loop

hot springs

trail is closed

A great day for a hike, though very hot at about 95 degrees, I started out at the Manzanita trail at Placerita Canyon Nature Center and climbed up to the shadeless firebreak and finally made it to the shady tree in the clearing by the road. I hung out at Wilson Saddle for a while before descending down the Northside of the Los Pinetos trail. A good descent, just a hint of sun, but unfortunately many of our friend the gnat swarmed in the forest. Down to Walker Ranch and across through the scenic canyon to the Nature Center was a nice easy warmdown, however it felt plodding after the intensity of the first two legs.

I would recommend doing the trail in this direction, though an earlier start would have been welcome, as the high noon sun will cook you on the firebreak. Bring a wide brim hat, shades, and a wet rag to cool off with if you do this during summer.

no water

it was my first time here and it was amazing !
I just wish I knew which trail took you on top of the SCV.
Besides that it was a good hike !

Best hike ever!!!

Well maintained trail. Awesome views of scv. Restroom at the top and area to have a nice lunch.

is good i liked

This was a simple easy relaxed hike that involved a gently balancing act around some corners. This is perfect if you're just looking for an easy quick hike.

Beautiful shaded hike until you start the descent. Steep slippery trail, unmarked and easy to lose your way. Beautiful views though.

My family and I love this hike! We have GPS'd it to be 7.5 miles around the loop mapped above. The topography varies depending on where you are which makes for a nice hike. We tend to like to start along the trail that leads to Walker Ranch and climb from that side. The trail down on the Western side of the loop is steep in places so hiking sticks are helpful. We complete the loop in just under 3 hours; however, we have taken less experienced hikers and while they can complete the hike it can take much longer. The lower part of the trail down by Walker Ranch is much traveled more heavily. Once you climb up the mountain and move toward the top, you cross fewer hikers along the way. I have seen large bucks along the path.

I took the left side of the loop first...very enjoyable and easy trek up to the picnic area. I decided to go the the Waterfall even though I know there isn't any water this time of the year....can't wait to go back when there will be water. I then headed to finish the circuit of the Los Pinetos Trail. There are lots of different paths so I would suggest that you download the mobile app and keep the map open to make sure you stay on the correct trail. I also had "map my walk" on and the entire circuit logged in at just over 8 miles. The last part was very steep and slippery which after 7 miles was hard for me. No shade on this section either. Next time I will go to the right of the trail head first so that the hardest part of the trail can be done while I'm still fresh. Overall an excellent workout.

Great hike. Very peaceful forest like setting towards the top..more options when you get there.if you turn left and continue hiking eventually you reach the five mile mark at veterans.

Awesome place to hike and have a picnic with the family.

I have hiked this many times and have always enjoys it. I took my daughter and she spotted two deer about a half mile from the falls. There is no water this time of year but I have been there when it is and is worth the hike. The hike from the nature center is about five miles round trip.

The thing I really like about this hike is there are plenty of big oaks and assorted trees to give you shade from the sun during the hike. I was impressed by all the work that has been done to the trail since the last time I hiked it. They have added some nice fencing along the trail and added boulder barriers which I am guessing are used to slow down mountain bikers.

The one thing that I didn't like was that they capped the small area that the oil use to bubble out of the ground. I wanted to show my daughter but there is now a cement cap and a steel plate covering it up. How could this have caused a problem? Did some idiot think it was water and try to drink it. It had a foul smell and looked like oil. I know it's not a big deal but this was one of the little surprises that made this trail unique. Overall a fantastic hike and highly recommended!

Very well cleared out trail, good signs. Took our kids, 14, 15 and 17 took us 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete to the waterfall. Nice clean bathrooms at the nature center, also outhouses at the two mile mark.

Two thumbs