EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road Trails to Parker Mesa

Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road Trails to Parker Mesa is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pacific Palisades, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

A moderately difficult hike in Topanga Canyon State Park. Lush greens and beautiful views make this trail a hit! A 7+ mile hike from the Pacific Palisades to a popular overlook in Topanga State Park. The first part of this hike - the Los Liones Trail - is one of the most lush riparian canyons I've ever seen in the Santa Monica Mountains. It's gently graded, moderately shady, and definitely worth a look even if you have to fight crowds. Afterward, the trail meets up with the system of fire roads in Topanga State Park and makes a relentless ascent to Parker Mesa (1525ft). On a clear day, you'll get amazing views of the Santa Monica Bay, and often inland as far as the San Bernardino Mountains.

This used to be my go-to hike on the weekends for a quick 2 mile workout. It's a great trail (out and back), but it's gotten so busy. If you want to avoid the crowds, be there between 6:30a - 7:30a. It's a fairly narrow trail (I would categorize it as an easy hike) with a steady incline all the way up to the Parker Mesa Overlook which offers great view of the coast and city. It's exposed, so wear plenty of sunscreen on hotter days. There is plenty of parking - in lots and on the street, and it's free. If you're hiking this trail during a high traffic time, be aware of the other hikers coming up the trail behind you and stay to the right of the trail to allow others to pass. You can also continue up the trail to the fire road to extend the mileage.

Great breathtaking views.

Just a crush of people on a Saturday late morning/early afternoon. I've never seen the Los Liones Trail with this many people but it was a very warm, sunny day inland so the coast was the place to go. The trail was so crowded that I didn't see a single lizard on the trail. They were all scared off by the constant pounding of hiking shoes. Still one of my favorite hikes even when it's crowded. Hikers are by in large nice people to encounter. Lots of greetings exchanged.

Great hike. Views are spectacular. Gets your heart racing!

Challenging. Fun. Breathtaking!

Liked this trail.. Hope joined us

Great trail, challenging on a hot day! Very quiet on a Wednesday at 4pm. A big portion is on a fire road with very little shade so keep that in mind!

Fine trail. Bit busy at start but quietened down a few miles in. Walked on past lookout for views of Topanga. Easy walking throughout and not too steep.

This was such a tough trail for me. Easy for an expert. Seriously, this should be listed as moderate. I'm walking like a robot today. LOL! Overall I had a good time, good workout and would definitely do it again. P.S. I would say this is NOT kid friendly. I saw 3 snakes, two were really close to us. Scary and disgusting!

great views, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a fun trail to hike with friends

The Los Liones Trail up to the East Topanga Fire Road was in the past my "go to" trail. In 2010 I did it once a week. It's still one of my favorite trails. Wildflowers, however, have never been one of the draws. I took the trail today and the wildflowers were outstanding. Another hiker said he counted more than 20 different species. They were abundant and varied. I was very pleasantly surprised. It's getting past peak but it's worth getting out and hiking this trail sooner than later.