Lopez Canyon Trail

Lopez Canyon Trail is a 1.6 mile out and back trail located near San Diego, CA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Decent views of the canyon. We saw a couple deer. We took the trail that loops around near the businesses which kind of ruined the views so I don't think we'll take that route next time. With the loop it was 2.5 ish miles total

Leads down into Los Penasquitos Reserve trail.

Urgent Update: Hikers Beware!!! My dog became infected with ticks while hiking in this canyon last January 2015. He contracted a tick disease called Anaplasmosis - which humans can get too.

Lovely, quiet canyon. Unfortunately, during my Hike in Lopez Canyon on January 9, 2015 my dog was infested with ticks! Hikers and pets take precaution.

Penasquitos Canyon was all right. We saw deer, rabbits, woodpeckers, ducks and a rattlesnake during our 2 hours from trailhead to waterfall. What i didnt like were the old nature walk signs along the trail. Some were so old and faded they couldnt be read. Once you crest up a short hill after the lopez/penasquitos split you dont hear the freeway traffic and its quite peaceful.

This is a nice way to explore Lopez Canyon. Good views of the canyon, good scenery. You can still hear some traffic noise, especially when close to the trailhead. No real bathrooms, only a porta-pottie. This trail would probably get boring after a few hikes. Good place to go if you want to avoid crowds because most people choose to hike Penasquitos canyon (same trailhead).