Little Sur River Camp

Little Sur River Camp is a 7.2 mile out and back trail located near Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round.

We had a wonderful overnight visit. From the trailhead you will walk about 1.5 miles down a well-maintained dirt road. The road goes to a boy scout camp, and there were a few vehicles passing by en route to the camp. A well-marked sign will then take you down another 1 mile trail that drops you into a beautiful and lush canyon, walking under a canopy of various trees, including redwoods. There are about 4 or 5 suitable campsite, along-aide a rushing creek/river.

At the time of our visit (mid-May 2016), there was wonderful flow of clean and cool water. We encountered only a few mosquitos, although I expected a lot. Our campsite had an existing three-log sitting area and a nice campfire ring, perfect for inviting guests from adjacent sites.

The hike out the next day was back up the same trail. I would call it moderately steep in places, but not too bad. The trail was very slightly overgrown in a few areas. A large tree has recently fallen across the trail, providing a single barrier to an over-wise perfect trail. Of course, there is plenty of poison oak, so keep covered up as you head through the Forrest.

We did find some trash left by previous campers (not too much) which we removed what we could.

I will try to visit this place again and allow at least another day just to hang out. I would imagine there are fish in the creek, not sure.

Beautiful hike down to the river and easy to find. Just watch out for cars flying down The road.