Lewis Falls Trail

Lewis Falls Trail is a 0.8 mile out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Park along the side of the road and find the trail to the right of the creek next to a large yellow sign that reads, "NO FIRES." After 200 feet, the trail turns right between two granite boulders and continues half a mile up the canyon to Lewis Falls.

This is a really secluded and easy trail to hike once you find the trailhead. I went this past Saturday, January 7, and the trail was very pretty and green. Be careful if you go after rainfall because it was and can get very slippery on some of the rocks you have to hike on to get to the waterfall. Some of the more recent reviews have a very good description on locating the trailhead. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Lewis Falls was a Beautiful hidden gem to discover. The trail is hard to find, so here is s review to help you enjoy this Hike. Once you pass ColdBrook Camp look for what looks like a Water Tower on the left side of the road around mile Marker 34. There is plenty of parking here. You can try to park closer at a Turnout up ahead.

There are no signs as previous reviewers mentioned. Not sure if it was run over or destroyed. So just look for the Mile Markers if you pass marker 34.87 you went one marker to far.

The trail will be on the Right Side of the street. You'll see the Water Drains under the road. That is where the Trail begins.

The actual walking Trail gets lost on the Hike so keep your eyes open. It's small and narrow. Toward the last 1/4 mile where you think it ends. That is where the fun begins. You'll need to climb over rocks, over fallen trees, under logs, and through the creek. You'll want to give up wondering if you will find the Falls. Even when you see where the Trail actually ends keep walking. The Fall is on the left side of the trial ending which you can't see til you're literally in front of it.

This hidden Gem has pretty much no Graffiti and no trash. Let's keep it that way.

Things you need or recommended:

-Adventure Pass required
-Long Pants, the trail in raw and rough and you'll be going through debree. I got my legs pretty scrapped up.
-Bring gloves to help get over rocks or logs
-Hiking Stick is useful to test areas when you walk through water and mud
-Bring extra Shoes. You're feet will get wet

Enjoy your Hike

Hidden gem! I would say "Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations ". This is the one.

My husband and I decided to go check this trail out today in search of the waterfall. To our surprise we took a slight wrong turn somewhere and hiked about a mile up out of the way and never found it. The hike was beautiful lots of running water and greenery. Like someone else had mentioned don't forget your mosquito repellent they bombard you right at the start of the trial. Hope to come back soon and try and find the waterfall :)

This is a pretty scary, lonely, sketchy trail! I found the entrance without a problem as the reviews did really well describing the hidden entrance. We parked to the side where there is a turnout. You can just pull in and park, but make sure you have an adventure pass on your rearview mirror since you are leaving your car parked. You can get the adventure pass at REI for $5. We walked in and got swarmed by mosquitos so please make sure you have repellant (we forgot ours in the car.. Oops!) be aware of the poison oak around so it's best to wear pants in this trail. You can hear the waterfall and see the creek to your left. We found 2 houses so this is where I got confused! We went through fallen trees as previous reviews suggested, but eventually the trail ended and it seemed like we would have to go through bushes so we stopped there. I know we were super close but maybe we didn't turn when we were supposed to? The only other option was to go in front of the second house to the right and around? We didn't do that because we thought it was private property. I do want to go back to find this place! The pictures look beautiful, but I freaked out with how lonely and full of insects it was, and not going to lie, I also got claustrophobic being surrounded by boulders, shrubs and trees. There's barely enough space to walk through. I had no service up there so it's best to download the trackers people have provided beforehand so that hopefully you can find it much easier!

It's a pretty trail, very short. We had trouble finding it in the beginning due to a few splits in the trail.

It was ok. Won't return tho. Poorly marked. Got lost a couple Times entrance to trail off main road was hard to find (look for a NO FIRES yellow sign, that's it!! See pic I posted of entrance. Got lost in the way back but just follow the creek and you'll find the trail again. Ok trail. Glad we did it but won't repeat.

It was my best hike ever. So much fun! Beautiful day & weather! So peaceful! I love the sound of the water all along the hike. If only they get rid of the falling trees, it's easier to get there.

One of my favorite hikes to escape the crowds. The road to get here is closed right now due to mudslides. The ranger i talked to on the way up told me that it would probably be closed for a couple months.

geocaching

Great easy hike just off the Hwy. the waterfall was larger and taller than I anticipated this time of year.

I love this bike the fact that it is hidden so not many hike it. and just getting to the waterfall and sitting there and watch the water fall is so peaceful.

I found the turnout and the house, but I don't think I made it to the actual falls. Wondering if George Zankich (252) could let me know how far past the house is the falls? I went as far as the house, and that was it - didn't really notice if the trail went past that point...
George, your tips are greatly appreciated....Thx :)

Love it

Could not find this hike at all. Drove around for a little while trying to find it but with no luck. Also never saw anyplace to park. do not recommend this place at all as it's extremely hard to find. went a few miles down and saw a few cars parked so decided to try there and was disappointed at all the trash all over the place. Even saw a bra that someone had left. This place needs a clean up and fast.

nice hike... a little hard to find the turnout though. watch for the mile marker and the "no campfires" sign. we missed it on the way up and went to crystal lake for a bit, talked to the cafe cook and he gave us better directions but advised it was probably too tough with all the boulders from the last rain. My son (6) and I went ahead, we missed the trail to the house and climbed the boulders through the creek. That part was tough but the rest was no problem. Coming down was much easier as we went by the house and were out in a breeze.

Only saw two other hikers on a Sunday, you can hang out at the falls very nice and lots of shade on the way up. Hope to hike it again soon. I really like that you don't see the falls until you are right there, even though you expect it its a nice suprise.

Had a great little peaceful hike here today it's short and sweet with a wonderful end.

Short hike... Take the path that leads by the house it will go around the back and continue up.... The waterfall was beautiful but not as nice as I expected....great for beginners .

Hiked this trail today. Trail was short and easy, with just a few downed trees to deal with. All in all, a fun hike.

This is a great trail for a simple yet secluded camping trip. Doesn't seem to get much traffic. I'm guessing that's cause it's not extremely well maintained and there isn't much parking. It feels like the middle of no where but it's nice and close to the road so you can easily make some extra trips to the car to bring extra gear you wouldn't usually be able to on a longer hike.