Lewis Camp Trail to the Little Kern River

Lewis Camp Trail to the Little Kern River is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Porterville, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until August.

8.8 miles 2057 feet Out & Back

beach

The Little Kern River Bridge was built in 1957 and is still being maintained by the USDA Forest Service. Day hikes and over night hikes to this area are common for those wanting to fish the area for Golden Trout. The bridge is also built to handle equestrian use, which visitors are likely to see.

What is the parking spot about 5 miles away from the bridge on the Little Kern? Anyone know? I have been to it twice but have forgotten.

Well worn trail. Like walking in sand from all the horse traffic. We took a wrong trail and the 5 mile in turned into a 15 mile in!! My own fault. The way back from the little kern is all uphill!!!

We hiked this trail in March and it was awesome. We started at the Jerky meadow parking lot for a one day hike. It was all uphill from the beginning to golden trout wilderness sign. From there we headed towards the bridge and little kern and it was all downhill. When reached the river it felt good to soak our feet in the river and to refuel on some snacks. This was my second time walking this trail and it won't be the last. I had more fun with an overnight stay than just a one day in and out hike. If you get a chance ad it to your bucket list.

This was a great trail! The fishing was awesome and it is hard to beat catching one of the rarest trout in the USA, The Little Kern Golden Trout. The fish would literally jump out of the water and hit my fly! I hiked in June and it got pretty hot. Great time fishing all the streams and definitely worth the trip!

This is a well maintained trail, very wide in some places, the good thing about this trail its mostly downhill to the river but its a long uphill climb back. This trail is also heavily used you will not be alone on this trail.