Last Chance Trail

Last Chance Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Paula, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail begins at the 3rd punch bowl, by the water slide. This is tough, and I highly recommend GPS. It's unmaintained, and if you want to reach Hines peak, leave by 6am.

My roommate and I did a portion of this hike summer 2014 and absolutely loved it. We came for the punchbowls but ended up doing a bit more when we saw how many people were around already (started off around 8am). Wanted to continue on further, but the trail was a bit difficult to follow, rugged, etc and we didn't have a good map and compass, just phones to help with directions. Definitely planning on coming back more prepared so we can spend a day here when it gets a little warmer

The Last Chance Trail is a lesser known spur off of the very popular Santa Paula Creek Trail aka "the punchbowls" trail. I used to come up here for short weekend backpacking adventures in high school and more recently came up the LCT to snag a few geocaches. It's definitely 11.8 miles and a solid hike which we did most recently as an afternoon hike (took longer than planned at ~4hrs). The first 8 miles of the trail is hodge podge since it was mostly washed out during the last big storm but the LCT spur off the back end was fairly well defined despite not being used as much. Not much water at the punchbowls or past when we came up in November 2013.