EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Lassen Peak

Lassen Peak is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, CA that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible from June until September.

4.6 miles 1948 feet Out & Back

rock climbing

Tackle the highest peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park and stand atop an active volcano. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Mount Lassen is a towering testament to the volcanic origins of this region, and an imposing sight from the trailhead on the shores of Lake Helen. Starting at the parking lot in Lassen National Park, this popular trail makes a steep climb to the summit of Lassen Peak. The hike can be difficult, but the views are well worth the effort. It is truly a worth-while adventure to the top of an active volcano. On the main road through Lassen National Park, a parking lot at the trailhead marks the beginning of the journey. The trail starts at 8500 feet in elevation, and ascend quickly. The high altitude in combination with the steep ascent can make this hike difficult, but the trail is relatively short, a mere 2.5 miles in each direction. There no trees to shade the hike, so be prepared for direct sunlight the entire trip. The trail remains a popular destination, because of its spectacular views, and the bragging rights of climbing this active volcano.

Done this hike 5 times over the years...it's strenuous for a senior who's somewhat out of shape...

Definitely a strenuous hike due to the elevation change and the wind! Would do it again - you can't beat the views at the top, especially Mt. Shasta.

Hard trail, but when you get to the top its rewarding, the view of Lake Helen is pretty, wear good hiking shoes, and warm clothes, its chilly on the top even in the summer, there are still snow in the edge, its also windy
the trail is rocky.

Beautiful views! I am an avid hiker but the altitude really affected me. I took my time going up but hiking down was much easier. It was super cold at the top and absolutely gorgeous. You will feel very happy and accomplished when you make it to the top! If you are doing this hike in September like I did, be sure to dress in layers as it was warm when we started but super cold as we got higher and higher. Then back to warm/hot as we made our way down. I saw families and people of all ages on this trail. A must do when visiting Lassen!

So hard but I am so glad I did it.

This was awesome! My first summit over 10k and I'm so glad I did it! Starting the hike was beautiful weather (early September) but when I got to the top I was so glad that I was wearing winter clothes. It was COLD and windy! Snow at the top, too! :) Tons of places to stop, rest, and acclimate to the altitude. Great hike!

What a fun hike. If your asking me if you should do this hike....NO QUESTION! DO IT!

Awesome hike there is some shade going up and plenty of places to stop along the trail if you need a quick break. The top is cold with snow. And I did this trail towards the end of summer. So if your gonna wear shorts and tank top maybe bring a jacket with you.

Great hike! Can't wait to look across from Mt. Shasta to Mt. Lassen.

Awesome hike! Pretty challenging but so worth it!!

This hurt my legs

Great Hike!

Every thing you want in a hike. Challenging enough, takes you to the highest point for a 360 view. We saw deer too! So cool!

hiked this trail today. i read reviews before i went, so i felt some what prepared. packed a lunch, had a walking stick, sunscreen... lots of water and a hiking buddy. i was not prepared for the way my body would acclimate to the elevation, and found it a bit difficult to catch my breath at times. we took lots of breaks and went at our own pace. took 3 hrs and 20 for us to reach the peak. once at the top the views were breathtaking. on the way down we found it easier to jog the downward tail and made it back to the bottom in 1 hour. i would not recommend small children on the hike, unless you're experienced at hiking with your children. there were young children who were packed up the trail and the little olders ones i saw appeared to be seasoned in hiking with their families. all in all, it was a great trail.

Wonderful hike and the views are well worth the trek up. We took our kids up with us as well (ages 7 & 9). They are both experienced hikers so this trail was not over doing it for them but we also started around 9am. Saw lots of families trying to do the hike on our way down with young kids and it was already too hot and I doubt they made it even half way before turning around. Saw multiple people with a small bottle of water only. I am assuming they had no idea what lied ahead for them. Plan to go first thing in the morning, bring lots of water and have lunch at the top. There were some snowy parts but nothing major. It took us about 4 1/2 hours including lunch at the top but with kids lots of breaks happen and are a must.

Went with my 70y/o dad. It was challenging for him but he is a trooper. The final but to the summit is tricky and he stayed back due to the snow. Amazing day!

This was an amazing hike though I must admit I found it challenging. There was a lot of snow/ice on the ground and it made the going tough. At the worst section, you had to wait for groups of people coming from the other direction to navigate it slowly, and it was scary enough that of the 6 people in our group only I went past (because I didn't know any better, plus it was less than a mile to the top). Next time if there's this much snow, I'll definitely listen to the ranger who suggested winter hiking gear (pikes/crampons- whatever those might be), but definitely take some walking/hiking sticks- they were invaluable (I had a tree branch someone very nicely left at the trailhead). Also have no shame in sliding down on your butt on some of the treacherous sections- ended up being quite fun and less chance of falling off the trail that way. Can't wait to do it again.