EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Lassen Peak

Lassen Peak is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, CA that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible from June until September.

4.6 miles 1948 feet Out & Back

rock climbing

Tackle the highest peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park and stand atop an active volcano. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Mount Lassen is a towering testament to the volcanic origins of this region, and an imposing sight from the trailhead on the shores of Lake Helen. Starting at the parking lot in Lassen National Park, this popular trail makes a steep climb to the summit of Lassen Peak. The hike can be difficult, but the views are well worth the effort. It is truly a worth-while adventure to the top of an active volcano. On the main road through Lassen National Park, a parking lot at the trailhead marks the beginning of the journey. The trail starts at 8500 feet in elevation, and ascend quickly. The high altitude in combination with the steep ascent can make this hike difficult, but the trail is relatively short, a mere 2.5 miles in each direction. There no trees to shade the hike, so be prepared for direct sunlight the entire trip. The trail remains a popular destination, because of its spectacular views, and the bragging rights of climbing this active volcano.

This hurt my legs

Great Hike!

Every thing you want in a hike. Challenging enough, takes you to the highest point for a 360 view. We saw deer too! So cool!

hiked this trail today. i read reviews before i went, so i felt some what prepared. packed a lunch, had a walking stick, sunscreen... lots of water and a hiking buddy. i was not prepared for the way my body would acclimate to the elevation, and found it a bit difficult to catch my breath at times. we took lots of breaks and went at our own pace. took 3 hrs and 20 for us to reach the peak. once at the top the views were breathtaking. on the way down we found it easier to jog the downward tail and made it back to the bottom in 1 hour. i would not recommend small children on the hike, unless you're experienced at hiking with your children. there were young children who were packed up the trail and the little olders ones i saw appeared to be seasoned in hiking with their families. all in all, it was a great trail.

Wonderful hike and the views are well worth the trek up. We took our kids up with us as well (ages 7 & 9). They are both experienced hikers so this trail was not over doing it for them but we also started around 9am. Saw lots of families trying to do the hike on our way down with young kids and it was already too hot and I doubt they made it even half way before turning around. Saw multiple people with a small bottle of water only. I am assuming they had no idea what lied ahead for them. Plan to go first thing in the morning, bring lots of water and have lunch at the top. There were some snowy parts but nothing major. It took us about 4 1/2 hours including lunch at the top but with kids lots of breaks happen and are a must.

Went with my 70y/o dad. It was challenging for him but he is a trooper. The final but to the summit is tricky and he stayed back due to the snow. Amazing day!

This was an amazing hike though I must admit I found it challenging. There was a lot of snow/ice on the ground and it made the going tough. At the worst section, you had to wait for groups of people coming from the other direction to navigate it slowly, and it was scary enough that of the 6 people in our group only I went past (because I didn't know any better, plus it was less than a mile to the top). Next time if there's this much snow, I'll definitely listen to the ranger who suggested winter hiking gear (pikes/crampons- whatever those might be), but definitely take some walking/hiking sticks- they were invaluable (I had a tree branch someone very nicely left at the trailhead). Also have no shame in sliding down on your butt on some of the treacherous sections- ended up being quite fun and less chance of falling off the trail that way. Can't wait to do it again.

Beautiful hike with spectacular views. We hiked with our daughters who were about ages 10 and 12 at the time. It was a challenging hike for us due to the elevation, lots of switchbacks, not much shade.....but the view was totally worth it. One of my favorite hikes for the views.

It was nice. A healthy hike for a few hours. Beautiful views.

Challenging hike but well worth it. As other reviews have mentioned popular scene, try for early morning if trying to miss crowds.

A great hike, challenging and the view is FANTASTIC . Might be busy on the weekends. Go early !!

I want to do this one again it's a great accomplishment to make it to the top.

Great hike on August 23, 2015. It was a beautiful sunny day with some wind. My hiking time was 2 hours and 47 minutes from parking lot to top and back. That does not count the time spent with friends at the top enjoying our views, lunch and company. There was only 1 patch of snow left on the mountain. Hopefully there will be more snow this winter. I took my pack off at the top and ended up getting quite the sunburn on the places that my pack straps were. We also hiked Bumpass Hell trail and I didn't apply more sunscreen and didn't wear my pack. I will remember the sunscreen next time

Great

This trail has panoramic views and is great for taking scenic landscape pictures. High mountain with patches of snow on top. If you want a quick, all uphill intense workout this was great for me.