Lassen Peak

Lassen Peak is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible from June until September.

4.6 miles 2032 feet Out & Back

rock climbing

Tackle the highest peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park and stand atop an active volcano. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Mount Lassen is a towering testament to the volcanic origins of this region, and an imposing sight from the trailhead on the shores of Lake Helen. Starting at the parking lot in Lassen National Park, this popular trail makes a steep climb to the summit of Lassen Peak. The hike can be difficult, but the views are well worth the effort. It is truly a worth-while adventure to the top of an active volcano. On the main road through Lassen National Park, a parking lot at the trailhead marks the beginning of the journey. The trail starts at 8500 feet in elevation, and ascend quickly. The high altitude in combination with the steep ascent can make this hike difficult, but the trail is relatively short, a mere 2.5 miles in each direction. There no trees to shade the hike, so be prepared for direct sunlight the entire trip. The trail remains a popular destination, because of its spectacular views, and the bragging rights of climbing this active volcano.

Breathtakingly beautiful

My boys (6, 8 and 9) completed this hike late in the summer - we camped overnight at Summit Lake the night before and hit the trail mid-morning. The hike was tough, as it is nothing more than a stack of switchbacks going up a 1:1 incline... A Ranger gave a brief history of the park, the volcano and associated volcanic activity at the top, including in his presentation photos and samples of various rocks found in the park. The kids really enjoyed the opportunity to learn. Views are great, trail is very exposed. Bring lots of water, a good wide brimmed hat and lots of sunscreen.

Yep, 5 stars. Great trail, views, geology.
Big temperature drop from the trail head parking lot with the wind chill factor at the top. Great place to get this info is Air Sports Net at usairnet.com. It shows wind speed, direction, temp, windchill factor in a very user friendly format.

Done this hike 5 times over the years...it's strenuous for a senior who's somewhat out of shape...

Definitely a strenuous hike due to the elevation change and the wind! Would do it again - you can't beat the views at the top, especially Mt. Shasta.

Hard trail, but when you get to the top its rewarding, the view of Lake Helen is pretty, wear good hiking shoes, and warm clothes, its chilly on the top even in the summer, there are still snow in the edge, its also windy
the trail is rocky.

Beautiful views! I am an avid hiker but the altitude really affected me. I took my time going up but hiking down was much easier. It was super cold at the top and absolutely gorgeous. You will feel very happy and accomplished when you make it to the top! If you are doing this hike in September like I did, be sure to dress in layers as it was warm when we started but super cold as we got higher and higher. Then back to warm/hot as we made our way down. I saw families and people of all ages on this trail. A must do when visiting Lassen!

So hard but I am so glad I did it.

This was awesome! My first summit over 10k and I'm so glad I did it! Starting the hike was beautiful weather (early September) but when I got to the top I was so glad that I was wearing winter clothes. It was COLD and windy! Snow at the top, too! :) Tons of places to stop, rest, and acclimate to the altitude. Great hike!

What a fun hike. If your asking me if you should do this hike....NO QUESTION! DO IT!

Awesome hike there is some shade going up and plenty of places to stop along the trail if you need a quick break. The top is cold with snow. And I did this trail towards the end of summer. So if your gonna wear shorts and tank top maybe bring a jacket with you.

Great hike! Can't wait to look across from Mt. Shasta to Mt. Lassen.

Awesome hike! Pretty challenging but so worth it!!

This hurt my legs

Great Hike!

Every thing you want in a hike. Challenging enough, takes you to the highest point for a 360 view. We saw deer too! So cool!