Rocky Ridge Loop Trail

Rocky Ridge Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Danville, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take a stroll around the tall rolling grassy hills East of San Francisco in the Las Trampas Regional Wilderness. Wildflower lovers will love the springtime scenery of Las Trampas Regional Wilderness, but when the blooms have faded this East Bay park still has plenty to marvel at. Eagle-eyed hikers in autumn and winter will spot birds of prey amongst the gliding turkey vultures, and there's also the chance of a golden eagle sighting.

Hiked Las Trampas Peak one day and this the next. I was in great hiking shape then and they were both after work. The 3 trails I've done in this system are all great and can be pretty muddy in places. I hardly ever saw another soul on my hikes here. Great views as well. For difficulty maybe the best combination of hikes that close together in the Bay.

Amazing views of Mt. Diablo and the bay!

My husband and I have hiked this loop about 8 times per year for the past 7 years. It's our favorite local hike. It's about 8 miles away and free. We typically go up Rocky Ridge View Road, straight to the top, hike along the ridge and the come down Elderberry. I used to take 2-3/4 hours to finish but can now finish in less than 2 hours. We've added on Devil's Hole/Sycamore once when we were up for more of a workout. Sections of Elderberry can be muddy after a big rain. Cows are sometimes (rarely) near the trail, but they don't cause trouble. The views from the top are great on a clear day. There is a clear view of Mt Diablo, Mt. Tam, San Francisco, the bay, Fremont, Mission Peak, and more.

We've also hiked almost all of the other trails in Las Trampas Park. There are other great hikes in the park, but Rocky RIdge Loop is the one I'd recommend overall.

Tip: The road is mostly exposed and therefore hot on hot days, but the ridge top is breezy and there is a mix of sun and shade on Elderberry. On hot days, chose one of the hikes in the Oakland Redwoods instead. Everything in this part of the valley is too warm.