Lake Hodges Overlook Trail

Lake Hodges Overlook Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Once you make it up here you might as well circle around the lake and see what's below, and that does include Lake Hodges.

These directions get you to the Elfin Forest and Olivenhain Reservoir.
Check out Bernardo Mountain Trail to get to the Lake Hodges overlook.

This whole page should be trashed. The map on front shows Olivenhain Reservoir, not Lake Hodges.
And another thing , there's already a Bernardo Mountain trail page on here which is basically what overlooks Lake hodges.

So this hike is switched back up hill for at least the 1st Miles after that little rolling hills and flat I started at 6:30 am but the park does not open till 8am so had to park on the side of the road ..... great views I would bring water this is a good easy /moderate hike the first part is the hardest after that not to bad ..... I did the whole hike it took me 3hr to do I'm slow and took brakes to see the view .... my Fitbit said I did 7 miles .... trail is well marked I only got lost once ..... but if you go during the day there will be no shade and very hot ..... also get there early if you want a spot to park gets full quick.

great hike. not alot of shade. 9.5 miles adding the overlook trail and the equine incline trails.

We started from the Del Dios highway side.. still 6 miles lots of climbing..Fun hike, avoid hot days,it gets even hotter on trail. First mile is fun..

Fun hike with a nice breeze coming off the reservoir. Sadly I could here the sound of traffic coming up the valley from Escondido, but headphones fixed that.

Definitely challenging esp in the summer heat but rewarding views of the reservoir and lake at the end. You take walk up trail to the lake hodges overlook trail. Bring lots of water! And be out of the park by 730pm!

Really good hike if you want to challenge yourself!

If you are looking for a challenging hike this is it. I have no idea how they calculated 3.9 miles. From the street to Ray Brooks Overlook (the other way from Lake Hodges Overlook once you get to top) my phone app said 6 miles roundtrip and it showed to be 1202 feet at or near the top, I would categorize as moderate-hard. It is straight uphill from the start. Very very rocky.. big rocks and little rocks you have to be careful not to slip on. At the beginning you see a sign that shows you the way to the "way up trail". Shortly after, you will see a cut off for the Botanical Trail. We did this. We had to cross a stream which wasn't the easiest ever without getting wet but we got on all fours and got across! We went back the other way...! haha. Beautiful views facing Palomar Hospital and then of the Olivenhain Dam (found all our water!!). I thought coming down would be a piece of cake but the pebbles are tricky to navigate without falling so hiking shoes helpful with more traction! Take a copy of the map with you. It is well marked as you go if you know where you are heading... Parking is tough. We parked on the street outside the parking lot where it says no parking. We didn't get a ticket. No guarantees for you. Not sure if they patrol there as there were probably 40 cars parked that way! Mostly hikers, but some mountain bikers going up and down. They were all very polite. Beautiful area and great hike. (they do have porta potties at a few places- for sure by Ray Brooks and some other places as well.

Well maintained trails, good views

Perfect!

A bit more difficult than I expected. Not 8 miles either. About 4 there and back. Nice overcast day to hike it.

Great trail! Very well maintained, and the breeze off of the reservoir is wonderful. The overlook view is a good one!