Ladder Canyon Trail

Ladder Canyon Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Desert Center, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Grapefruit Blvd (also Hwy 111), left on 66th Ave, which will transition to Box Canyon Rd., left on Painted Canyon Rd.

Fantastic hike.

Beautiful hike. I highly recommend it.

A geologists dream hike! Great rocks and an even better "great unconformity"! Completed this hike on 11/25/16. The trailhead is super easy to find because there are sooooo many other cars there. We did the ladder loop counter-clockwise, which ascends two waterfalls in the northeast canyon and descends four waterfalls in the southwest Canyon and saves the narrow slot canyon for the end. There are a bunch of unmarked trails at the top and we got a little lost but found our way into the main canyon by going down a steep cliff side. Really great hike! Would definitely do it again!

Regarding the description of this hike.
The location is on Painted Canyon Road just off Box Canyon Road located half way between Desert Center and the town of Mecca. There are a number of waterfalls on this hike all of them dry. That’s where the ladders are located. Dogs that can climb or be packed up ladders do well on the hike, other dogs should stay home. Additionally this is NOT a lightly traveled hike as evidenced by the hundred or so cars seen in the parking area on a good weekend.

First time hiking this trail last Saturday. It was confusing and wasn't sure if we were going the right way (from the parking lot and to the trail). I was skeptical on how to get to the trail, but thankfully a couple next to us has been to the ladders before and helped guided us to it.

Tons of fun and great photo ops on this trail! I'd say the beginning and end of the trail had all the fun ladders. The rest of the trail were open/canyon (very rocky/sandy; hah, I always seem to kick up sand into my shoes. I had to stop twice to remove them).

I somehow didn't see the ropes in this trail and missed it. I will be coming back to tackle the ropes!

love this trail been going for 3 weeends in a row. god hike

Favorite hike for both me and my husband and we do a lot of hikes!! She me scrambling and ladder climbing. Very unusual!! Gorgeous!!

Great Hike. Lots of ladders and climbing. Many Beautiful sights to see. Keeps your curiosity up. Keep wanting to see what's around the next corner.

It's a pretty easy trail, but it is very fulfilling due to all of the beautiful view. By far, my favorite hike in this area. AT the furthest end of the trail, where is loops back around, there's two trails, which confused us and we ended up having to backtrack. When it Ys off, you can take the trail downhill, or the trail to the right, which stays uphill. Take the trail that leads downhill. Once you get to the bottom, go right. It was a little confusing for us, at that, because there were arrows pointing the way that we just came.

Overall, I love this trail. It's beautiful.

So beautiful

If you only do one hike in the desert you must do this one. I had no clue that this was here. It is very family friendly and the view is amazing. Check out all the pictures my blog about the trail here.

One gorgeous turn after another.

Amazing trail! You get to hiking through a canyon that is small enough to only fit one person at a time in some areas. The trail is true to its name in that you have to climb and descend ladders. You also hike to a small summit that overlooks the mountains in the area and its beautiful! Pretty easy hike but make sure to do it when its not scorching hot! ***A word of caution*** There is one ladder section that has a bees nest right next to it! Its about half way coming back if you do the loop clockwise, which means you will be descending the ladder. The bee hive is right next to the top of the ladder. Just take it slow and you should be fine.

Great scenic trail with fun slot canyons, ladders and rock formations. Spectacular views once above the rocks.

If you love the desert and canyons this is for you.