Kwaay Paay Peak Trail

Kwaay Paay Peak Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santee, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Short but fairly steep hike. Fun!

This was a nice surprise. I did this one a week ago. It is kind of short but definitely steep. Not very crowded at 7am. Excellent workout. I highly recommend this one if you're looking for another hike besides Cowles Mountain.

It is streneous

It was OK , a nice work out . Made it to the peak and back down in 37 minutes, yes I was running .
Lots of gravel and I really did enjoy the incline before you get to the peak .
I did it after work around 4:45 .

alot steeper than i realized but good hike

Started early in the morning to avoid the heat, as there is zero tree cover (make sure to bring lots of water and proper sun protection). Very steep for the majority of the hike; lots of loose sand/gravel can cause slipping, trekking poles might be needed. Made it to the top in 30 minutes, RT just over an hour - a good morning workout. Marine layer was still hanging around, so there was not much to see at the top. Be advised - Out of all five major peaks in the park, this is the most strenuous for the shortest distance.

Hot and dry

Great trail! Lots of very slippery parts on the way down. Also great for dogs.

Good workout ! Make sure you have good shoe's I made the mistake of wearing some old shoes and slipped a little bit lot of loose dirt.

I've started off of Mission Gorge by Jackson Dr and ran most of this trail where i could and walked the rougher terrain like some of the rocky road (mmm ice cream), and the stairs. i was actualky trying to meet my friends on South Fortuna but ended up on this summit. The trail did kick my butt, some awesome views from 1200 ft elev.
do this if you are in shape or you will be sorry. it may not be as bad if you start where alltrails app shows. you will still run into some steep inclines and it is slippery.
good luck.

I love Kwaay Paay. I think is harder than the back side of Cowles. I enjoy it every single time.
The end is killer, and kicks my butt!!

I love this trail! It is short, but steep (really gets the heart pumping). The trail is clearly marked and well-maintained. Beautiful!

Well traveled trail. Nice hike. Little shade.

Steep and decent views. A good change of pace from Cowles

It looks short and sweet, but don't let that fool you. The last .8 mile is like climbing a ladder. Steep, but not dangerous

Great workout!!! Beautiful views! We did this tonight and got to watch the sunset begin-it was awesome!

Steep, but manageable, even for an overweight 40something woman. Beautiful views at the top and nice bird song through the brush on the way up. We learned that MIssion Trails used to be part of Camp Pendleton back in the 40's. Our military history sure has made for great open space in San Diego.

great short hike with high endurance. careful on the stairs. the view at the top is nice also

short but great hike for workout or training the view is pretty nice also.