King Crest Trail

King Crest Trail is a 14.8 mile out and back trail located near Garberville, CA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

I did a portion of this trail, swung down to the coast via Rattlesnake Ridge, hiked to the south and came back up Buck Creek.

I didn't follow this exact trail, but took a different route. A four-day trek beginning at Shelter Cove. Camped the first night at Buck Creek and hiked the next day to King Peak at 4,000 ft. Camped at Miller Loop camp where there is a freshwater spring nearby. Hiked from there down Kingsley Ridge and back to the beach where I spent the third night. From there, I travelled along the beach to Horse Mountain Creek where I spent the last night before the short jaunt back to Shelter Cove.
For the sheer variety of terrain, foliage, and vistas, this is a great trip. Saw whales a few hundred yards offshore, some barking sea lions, thousands of lizards, a snake, deer, a 6-inch long millipede. Also saw a dead river otter and a deal sea lion being eaten by turkey vultures and crows. Alas, I didn't see any bears (bear cans are required), but did see some bear paw prints in the sand. This route was very strenuous, especially the trek with a full pack from sea level to King Peak.