Kelly and Coit Lakes Trail

Kelly and Coit Lakes Trail is a 20.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gilroy, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The toughest backpacking trip of my life! 95 degrees and no shelter along the way. Parked at the Ranger station up on Dunne Ave in Morgan Hill. Blazing hot and carry a gallon of water! Very strenuous uphill hike but what else would you expect coming out of an area called 'hell hole!?!" Able to reload water in some areas in the first few miles (before you need it!) but don't count on it. In the July I went, most areas were well dried up or so small, muddy and green you wouldn't want to. After about 12 miles one-way to Coit Lake you reach a great little bass oasis. A 'bass per cast' is no kidding with my little Rapala floater. Too tired to enjoy more than the 15 minutes and 4 nice fish I caught and released, I ate a quick dinner and slept great except for the huge army ants eating my flesh. So hot and a forecast for higher temps, I decided to leave the next morning after breakfast. A route through the "Narrows" sounded good except there was even less water where I thought there would be more along the "river." Totally dry. About 4hrs into the 100+ degree hike, I found myself out of water and standing over a 10' wide green puddle full of minnows and algae. I pumped a couple bottles full, treated with extra extra iodine and soaked a mint teabag to hide the funky flavor. I soaked my feet in the water and the minnows were trying to eat my toes! Creepy feeling but I was ready to hit the trail and make it back to the car. Several incredibly hot and steep miles and at about the time the body was ready to give up, I stumbled to the car and actually lived to tell the story. I dream of the fishing but need an easier way to get there!