Joshua Tree National Park Trails

Joshua Tree National Park Trails is a 40.2 mile trail located near Desert Center, CA. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

40.2 miles 3913 feet

Out of 20 of the National Parks I've been to, this is in my top 3. The hikes here were so quiet, and beautiful. I opted to stay at a less occupied campground which was a great decision. The sky at night was unbelievable. Id never seen so many stars in my whole life.

rock climbing

Wish I could've spent more time here!! A mere few hours was not enough time to see all that Joshua Tree has to offer. It has a lot of unique, desert views unlike anything that I've seen before. Bring lots of water and dress for the heat!

So beautiful and a wonderful desert hike! Just make sure to bring more than lots of water because you will dehydrate super fast in the heat, regardless of hiking or not. Also, if you bring your dog, be careful and know that they are only allowed on certain trails.

I spent five days there, finished the whole trail, that was a amazing Backpacking trip!!!!

I spent a few hours here and barely managed to scratch the surface of everything this park has to offer. The hiking is great and the boulders are amazing. This was my first time climbing outside and I am hooked. I am planning on coming back and camping for a few nights so I can explore more.

Absolutely amazing. Every trail there has something new to offer. I was disappointed to see Barker Dam is suffering with water loss, none the less, still beautiful. The rock formation is something beyond man and the people you encounter are from all over the grid. Never once a dull experience at Jtree.

Hiked this place last time a couple years ago, Joshua Tree indeed is a must see place for anyone local or out of State. There’s a fee at the tollgate and many key point areas that all visitors are informed on the trail map that they give you, along with your receipt that you need to place on your windshield. When you research Joshua Tree, all the places that show up are the best places to see when you see the photographs that others have shared, you will understand why. But it might behoove you to learn that there’s one place, the best secret place at Joshua Tree that’s known by only a few people, but very popular among High School students of Yucca Valley. Why is it, that local HS students, discover the best kept secrets of Joshua Tree from the whole world and remains a secret to this day is the mind boggling mystery to this day? Even the park trail map fail to mention this secret place! Was doing a research on-line to see where the heck this place was located and to my surprise there was no place mentioned remotely close to Joshua Tree.

A mega movie star equivalent to Woody Harrelson or Tom Cruise has heard of it because they have mentioned it or actually seen it (you'll have to double check which Actor but he is well known without a doubt). HS students call it “the Snatch Rock” now there’s another place called “the Snatch” but that’s another place all together. Over the course of around 3 months researching without any luck, finally got a break, from an old time friend in Facebook, who originally mentioned about this place and knew exactly where it was, but he only gave me the name of the campground. Which turned out useless because it wasn’t specific enough, but the crucial hint was that it was visible from the road. So checked Google Earth to see if it was possible to find zooming in and as it turns out, it was impossible, only when you have actually been there, then you can go back to Google Earth to see the rock boulder.

When you see all the key places at Joshua Tree there are a few that are truly worth seeing while others remain typical. For example Skull Rock, Key’s View, Barker Dam just to name a few such places you will experience a jaw dropping moment. But by no means or any logical reason will make you laugh! Now this secret place that I’m talking about, is the only place, you will experience a good laugh, no jaw dropping effect by any means but truly good laugh. So if you’re ever in Joshua Tree and wanted to experience a good laugh? Then check out “The Holy Feminine Rock” if you can find it! Good luck on your next visit finding that place and when you do, you would have discovered the best secret of Joshua Tree National Park. So if you’ve ever wanted to see Joshua Tree and for some excuse have always stopped you? Now you have a mission to really go there! I’m sure you’ve done some research, and have seen the photographs others have shared, but to see this secret place not mentioned, or shown in at Joshua Tree National Park brochures or web-sites will convince you finally to go there. So now you have a reason or perhaps a mission? Next time you go there to continue hiking the places you didn’t see, make it a goal to find this secret place, because when you do, you will experience a good laugh. And by the way that’s not a joke!

Really love Joshua Tree, been there many of times mostly during September/November time frame (cooler). Camp site are great and people are very friendly, really down to earth! So many sites to check out and rocks to clime, have fun and be safe!

rock climbing

Looks like another planet... huge rounded Boulder rocks and landscape like nothing else on this planet. Spooky at night. I was in a reality competition series with many challenges in this park..rockclimbing was one of them. Get a guide to take you climbing at a local adventure shop. Worth it

rock climbing

Really unique ecology and wonderful place to go bouldering. Last time there, I encountered a Bighorn Sheep up close and personal.

We did a great hiking trip for three days thru Joshua Tree, we bouldered, roped, hiked, climbed from sunrise to sunset...and happily rested in our dirt and sweat. I wish I could tell you what trail, but we did most off trail. Beautiful place. However our last hours we did head back and picked up Boy Scout Trail which was great stroll after climbing three days. : )

Great to hike, just be careful for the ups and downs, and for the slippery stone steps. Take water with you as well.

Fabulous adventures await in Joshua Tree National Park! We went with a Sierra Club Group so I felt safe & in good hands, not so if you choose to go alone(not recommended). We hiked & boulder hopped thru Wonderland of Rocks area, challenging but rewarding! Then we hiked Barker Dam, Hidden Valley, Willow Hole & Ryan Mountain.We lucked out on the weather! Warm for February, but pleasant!

i started out a little disappointed as we did the Mt. Ryan trail a little late in the afternoon however, it was a great out and back trail. also we finished just at sunset. the views were breathtaking!!!

I recommend the Boy Scout trail to Willow Hole. You get a good, flat hike through plenty of Joshua Trees and the Wonderland of Rocks! Also, Keys View is amazing, try to catch a sunset there.

Good all around trail.very beautiful but very hard

JT is great. Most attractions are located close to each other so you won't have to drive too much in the park. Start off at the wonderland of rocks area; there are three trails in this area, which are the wonderland of rocks ruins, barker dam, and wall street mills, then head to hidden valley, skull rock, and don't forget to finish at Keys View; it's the highest point in the park that you can drive to!

Ryan Mountain trail - 3 mile loop, highest elevation 5,500 ft