Careys Castle Trail

Careys Castle Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Desert Center, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Unique desert "castle", off-trail canyon hike, unlisted "secret" hike This is a so-called "secret" hike. Although from the number of footprints and people signing the register, one might wonder just how such a "secret" got to be so publicized.

Had a good hike I missed the turn off and had to backtrack a little still all and all I would recommend it. Don't think I would call it a hard hike it's a little tough on the legs with the sand/gravel but pretty easy to deal with.

Great hike

I enjoyed it very much. The weather was 98* and clear blue skies. A GPS is a must.

I tried this hike last March with some friends, and it was a pretty difficult hike. We went without a map and didn't find the castle. Would love to try again with the proper map or GPS. Most of the hike is a wash and there isn't much of a trail. We did lots of scurrying over boulders and sliding down rocks.

The trail is though a wash the whole way up/down, so gators, high boots or long pants are advised to keep out the sand.
The "castle" is not as marked on the map, but with a little searching you will find it.
Map and/or GPS will help you from getting turned around in the maze of canyons.