Johnsondale Bridge Trail

Johnsondale Bridge Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Johnsondale, CA that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hiked back about 2 miles. great trail

did about 3 miles in. nice trail. a little hot by noon. Lots of places to go down to the river

This is a great river trail, especially if you aren't looking for a strenuous hike. The trail goes back almost 5 miles (therefore 9-10 roundtrip), before you hit the boundary and the trail leaves the river and heads east to connect with the Rubion trail. Along the 5 mile stretch, there are tons of access points to the river, great for fly fishin'. There are also multiple camps set up for an easy overnighter. If you do this trail, head up at least half way (maybe 2 miles out or so) to Dry Meadows Creek, where it comes in as a spectacular waterfall carving out a large section of the rock. There really isn't an end destination for this one, so just stroll out as far you like, and about-face and return to which you came when you are finished. Pack sunscreen, as most of this hike will be exposed. Don't forget to take you dog on this one too!

Did this trail 2 weeks ago, not that bad but not exactly 4 miles though.

fly fishing

Finally got back out here for a solo trip, and this palace is amazing. if you wanna check it out before you go check out what i saw here https://youtu.be/Mn5WcW10eAg

My family and i kinda did this hike this past Sunday, only did a tiny bit of it because the trail was a bit to dangerous for my kiddos. Best make sure you have strong ankles as well as good shoes. You can watch my you tube video in the description and enjoy the bits we did see.

Just did this trail this weekend and feel in love with it. Took my 12yr old and nephews and they loved it as well...I'd say just to be careful due to how some if the trail is made in the rock. Will do this trail again soon.

Easy trail, a little dusty and the water levels were low but the changing of the leaves has started so it was at least pretty!

Easy hike with some great views along the way. A little boring unless you get one of the jets flying overhead to kill your trail revere in nature!

fly fishing

Love the river trail. The first 4 miles of trail to the forks of the Kern is a wild trout fishery. Single hook barbless only. Fishing open year round but during off season is 0 kill. During season you may take 1 fish over 14". Several good campsites along the way.

Great hike, with great scenery! I would say that it is an easy hike with dicey terrain. Lot's of places to roll an ankle or stub a toe. I would recommend good sturdy boots for the trail given the fact that most of it is granite rock. It looks like there are lots of places to camp along the way. Anyone know if you need a permit to stay overnight on the trail?

I love this trail no matter what time of year it is. I know it is probably not the safest thing to do, but I would recommend hiking this trail when it is snowing. I went with a friend one year and, yes we did freeze our asses, but it was so cool to see the snow fall while we hiked a portion of the trail. I highly recommend this trail for most people. If you are looking for a really easy hike, don't do this one, but if you want one that is a little challenging then do this. By the way, don't forget your bathing suit during the summer because the swimming is a relief from the heat!

This is one of my favorite trails on the Kern River. I was just on this trail on July 27, 2013 and following some flash flooding a few days before, there were some parts of the trail that were washed out or blocked by some rock slides, but still navigable. It is still one of my faves and the dogs love it. There were a couple of great swimming spots since the river is so low right now. Great views up and down the river.

Gorgeous views all along the way. You can continue on after the obvious trail ends.

I really enjoyed this hike. I only wish I would have seen some wild life. I drove 3.5 hours from Southern California just to Hike the 4 miles on a Sunday, and then drove back. A separate write up and some pictures are at aoblane@blogspot.com .

Really enjoyed this hike. Took our 6 year old (he's a stud hiker) and he was pretty beat towards the end on the way back. Beautiful along the river, waterfalls are great, path is clear and mostly flat.