John Muir Trail from Yosemite Valley to Whitney Portal Road

John Muir Trail from Yosemite Valley to Whitney Portal Road is a 232.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Yosemite National Park, CA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

232.6 miles 55740 feet Point to Point

John Muir Trail - Yosemite Valley to Whitney Portal

I hiked the JMT in August of 2016. However, due to the permit I was able to secure, I hiked the trail northbound from the Cottonwood Pass area. This is the backpacking trip of a lifetime. If there is a trail that deserves 5/5 stars, this is the one.

I created a video series about my experience on the JMT. You can view the videos on my Youtube channel. Day one of my hike can be found at the link below.

It's the hike if a lifetime. Lyle Canyon is gorgeous. Donahue Pass .... AMAZING!!! If you want permits just go 2-3 days early and try to get a first come first serve. That's what we did. Happy Isles to Whitney. DO NOT USE MTR IF YOU DONT NEED TO. They are horrible to hikers. Go to VVR. They charge you less for resupply and test you like family. MTR SUCKS!!!!

Once in a life time kind of trail, make sure you do your research before you go.

Awesome.

Amazing

Great hike! Took three of my girls (ages 12, 14, 18). Completed the entire trail in 15 days. Took a zero day at Vermillion Valley Resort- great place to stop, shower, and eat a hot meal!

Started at Cathedral Lakes and took JMT to clouds rest and half dome before going down to the valley. Great hike, watch out for muirsquitos, they are brutal near the lakes and meadows.

Great, had to bail at fm due to pregnant wife but it was fun for the 30 miles I did accomplish.

Have been on multiple parts of the JMT. Planning on completing the whole thing in the next couple of years.

Hiked 77 miles of the JMT starting from Toulumne Meadows, and hiked from Happy Isles to Nevada Falls before beginning the trail at Toulomne Meadows. It was an amazing adventure. Mostly above the tree line you can't beat the views from the numerous passes. It is a very hard hike but oh so worth it. I am heading back this summer to complete the entire trail. I look forward to setting foot upon the JMT again.