Indian Truck Trail

Indian Truck Trail is a 22.7 mile out and back trail located near Corona, CA. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and off road driving.

off road driving

Great trail with some really nice views once you get up toward the main divide trail to your right.

Easy trail for any stock 4x4 and perfect imo during fall when its gloomy or even raining.

off road driving

Adventure buddy and I went up the backside since Santiago Canyon is closed in his 2000 Tacoma. Found a great spot to watch the meteor shower with a view of Corona. Haven't been up there in awhile. Trail is pretty soft in some spots and seems like it's been awhile since they've done any maintenance. Trail seems pretty washed out but you can still drive pretty much anything up there. Very dry and dusty, more so than usual, but with the drought I guess that's to be expected.

off road driving

Took my 2016 Tacoma out today. Didn't see any other vehicles on the trail on a Monday. Decided to go and look for a good view and have lunch. My truck did great. It's a narrow path, I was just worried about another vehicle on the trail.

off road driving

We had a blast. Only our second time out in our new jeep so it was perfect for getting our tires dirty. We missed the turn for Main Divide and ended up Hoursethief trail. That was bit rocky but still nothing we could handle. Recommend for novice to intermediate. Only saw two other vehicles and one hiker so it was a great time to go (early Sunday morning).

off road driving

I little rough for a dirt bike, but it would have been perfect for a four wheeler. I stopped about two thirds of the way up and hiked the rest.

I saw some crazy man near the top in an F-150.

Nice day to hike. Was a bit cool and windy. Only went 6miles up. Great views.

Very enjoyable hike. Great views and a nice wide path. Didn't go the whole way, the dog got tired. Looking forward to completing it next time.

Great views. Really enjoyed the hike.

What a day! ITT to the top of the peak in 4hrs! Beautiful conditions and the views are endless! Thoroughly enjoyed this hike with my wife. (no kids :D) Don't think they woulda made it....saw pine trees, a dead squirrel but no snakes today! (thank G-d) As we approached the peak we started to see the cheaters in jeeps ;) and motos...and other hikers converging from the holy jim trail. We started a bit before 7am and reached the peak @ 11:06 am after 11.6 miles. start and middle is pretty easy the part before the peak is a challenge but worth it!!! We came, we saw and we conquered it!

off road driving

Went up on the motorcycle some parts are tough, had to set it down once but the trail is a blast.

We did this trail on November 1st. We started at the Indian Truck Trail enterance off of Peony Street. I parked by the Church that's about a mile up the dirt road. We started at 630 am. Hiked up Indian Truck Trail to Main Divide. There were several areas of nice shade. Once on Main Divide it was nice to walk through the tall pines. We crossed paths with about 6 vehicles and a dozen motorbikes. After several miles on Main Divide we took a right at Upper Holy Jim and reconnected with Main Divide. Upper Holy Jim is zig zaggy, steep and slippery sand. Once back on Main Divide, it was a rocky, sunny trek to the Peak and towers. We made our way back down but stayed on Main Divide back to Indian Truck on the decent. Total time was about 9 hours with a total mileage between 22 and 24 (my tracker stopped before getting back to car). It's a uphill climb the whole way. Bring plenty of water and snacks!

off road driving

Fastest route to saddleback mountain. Great for training mountain biking and trail running, my dog loves this area. Best traveled September-may. It does get hot out here

I did an organized endurance race here back in 2007 . We rode 100 miles in less than 24 hours . We started below the Korean Prayer cabins and ascended up from there . We were on a dirt jeep trail then veered left off to a single track trail that had low branches ( for us riders but in foot or bike would have been better ) we rode to Ortega Highway then looped back around and towards Santa Ana . We got to even see the fireworks from Dianeyland going off from Anaheim at their closing finale for the evening . The trails are really good , lots of rocks . We encountered quite a few jeeps and trucks that were doing a type of car rally and were on the wider trails , also saw several mountain bikers . I rode this in late March 2007 and it was really cool up on the higher peaks and ridges and the wind can really pick up .

Hiked 3 hours up before turning back around. Lots of cyclists and people driving up the road in jeeps (only part I didn't like). Beautiful views. The weather was cold and overcast but definitely worth the hike.

My wife was sent on a project to southern California and asked if I would like to go out there for a few days. In order to justify the miles, travel time, and jet lag I wanted to go for more than just the weekend, particularly after viewing the beautiful vistas online made for trail running. I packed my camelback and Altra Superiors and was ready for California. I didn’t have to wait long. I arrived Thursday night. First thing Friday morning I took my wife into the job site she was working at and then took off to the Indian Truck Trail. It wasn’t as easy to find as advertised at least for an out of towner. I wandered through a new upscale residential community in Temecula before deciding to park the Riverside County park nestled between the mountains and newly constructed homes and took out on foot to find the dirt trail winding up a mountain. It was about a mile into the run that I definitively determined I was on the proper path when I spotted a small twin inch by four inch metal sign protruding from the right of the trail that read 501S ITT. It wasn’t long after seeing that sign that the steep ascent started to kick my butt. The first mile or so of the trail surface was a hard and windy almost uneven cement covered in desert dust with a steady and steep incline.

The hot sun and desert vegetation along with the constant scurrying of lizards across my path made me feel like I was running in one of the areas described by Christopher McDougal in Born to Run. I envisioned drug lords rounding the corner of the dirt road at any moment. I witness shipping containers in a glade below a cliff with a no trespassing sign. I thought to myself that surely they contained some type of illegal contraband. Those thoughts were further reinforced when around one bend I saw stairs chiseled into the rock face of a desert cliff seemingly made for an escape.

Further up the climb, which was half running half hiking, I gazed out onto the mountain valley daydreaming that I was Butch Cassidy and the Federalis would be coming over the ridge for me at any moment. The buzzards flying overhead assured me that my caracas would not remain there long. The mix of walking and running permitted me to take plenty of pictures on the way up as I climbed nearly 1,200 feet over roughly three and half miles that first day on the ITT. IMG_4109I decided to turn back when a large rattle snake crossed my path. It was there that my run became effortless with gravity on my side and the wind at my back. I sped down the hill but at the end did not have much left in the tank, both literally and figuratively. My two liter camelback was nearly drained on what amounted to a 7.3 mile run. Salt crystals from dried perspiration collected on my brow, nose, and mouth. It was so challenging that I couldn’t wait to tackle it again.

Saturday and Sunday my wife and I toured Los Angeles and Palm Springs. You can keep Los Angeles. However Palm Springs and the surrounding areas were gorgeous. The weekend also produced a family reunion as I was able to meet up with cousins and an uncle I hadn’t seen since I was a child. Monday it was back to work for my wife and for me back to the trails. Despite some pizza and a six pack of Sierra Nevada IPA the night before I was determined to tackle more of the ITT than I had on my first run. I wasn’t going to let a snake turn me back, though a mountain lion would be a different conversation. This time a pushed a little further before slowing down on the hills to a comfortable hike. I mixed in hiking and running and was feeling good when I came to the turnaround point from my previous run. I continued onward and upward. As I approached 3,000 feet in elevation the trail transitioned from a soft sand to a the more rocky surface I am familiar with on North Carolina trails.

The vegetation changed as well. In place of desert flowers and bushes, tall evergreen canopies appeared along the trail. Moss covered the surface of some of the rock faces. The air was crisp and light and a cool breeze gave me a second wind.

I continued on a little over five miles up the trail and up to nearly 3,200 feet in elevation. The only thing that kept me from going further was the clock and the fact that I had to get back to the hotel and cleaned up in time to pick up my wife from work. The race down the mountain was exhilarating and almost effortless.

I was sad to be leaving California, its challenging yet picturesque trails and beautiful mountains. Ironically, my first trail run this morning since returning home was cut short this morning by a turned ankle. I cursed the roots, mud, and rocky nature of the area trails. I longed to be back in California looking out onto the majestic vistas of the Santa Ana mountains.

Hidden gem. Maybe not a diamond but still a gemstone! Lol

3 hour climb to Santiago peak!! Bitchen ride down, totally worth it!

We parked close to the Korean prayer facility and hiked to Main Divide Road. A 12.6 mi round trip, primarily uphill to the destination with beautiful views of the valley, lakes and Trabuco Canyon. We encountered a jogger early on and a group of 4 jiggers much farther up the trail , one group of mountain bikers and one group of walkers. This was a moderate hike for us and enjoyable. Next time we plan to go to the peak!! I suggest gloves this time of year as there were snow patches and cold conditions in the higher elevations.