Idlehour Trail

Idlehour Trail is a 18.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

this trail is awesome, and have amazing view of Mt. Wilson and a awesome camp ground. everything about it is awesome. I recommend it to every level hiker, just give a try. make sure you have a great camera. I am sure I will do it again!

This trail is stunning! The first few miles are a climb in direct sunlight along a rocky mountainside trail. Eventually you get into the gorgeous forest and start a mild decline. The floor of the forest was covered in fallen leaves and has amazing rock formations and lots of shade. Then you get back out onto the mountainside and start another climb. The views of the mountains are simply breathtaking. You get a good workout both directions as each way has a pretty decent incline. I will definitely do this one again. It's fairly rugged in spots and I wouldn't recommend it for beginners or people who aren't comfortable on narrow trails with a steep drop.

I did this trail with my adventure pup and we had a great time. Lot's of wildlife since it's not a well traveled trail. I saw a small group of guys coming out from the camp. Trail was in good condition, water was in the creek at the campground when i was there in July, it even drizzled while i was on the fire road!

Oct 2015, Lots of shade. Leaves starting to turn/drop. Didn't meet anyone on trail. Lots of gnats/small flies at bottom. Bring bug spray.

My favorite trip when I was a kid in the 60s. Dennis Mathews and I hiked in and out via the Mt. Wilson Toll Road and camped at the trail camp on more occasions than I can remember. If the water's running in the stream and you know where to look, there's a sweet little waterfall near the trail camp.

I did this hike on a thirty mile overnight loop. I went from Altadena up to Mt Lowe then down to idle hour for the night. It's a beautiful peaceful hike. I didn't see a single person on the trail from 2:30 pm till 11 am the next day. The creek is pretty much dry around the campground though so take all the water you'll need with you. For my loop I went up to the toll road down to Eaton canyon, up Altadena crest back to the top of Mt Echo for Wednesday night happy hour. It was a fun but strenuous hike.