Icehouse Saddle via Icehouse Canyon Trail

Icehouse Saddle via Icehouse Canyon Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wonderful creek trail ascending to great canyon views and pristine high country. This is one of the finest hikes in the San Gabriel Mountains. You climb the heart of scenic Icehouse Canyon into the Cucamonga Wilderness to Icehouse Saddle, then to the top of the 8303-foot Timber Mountain. From the trailhead follow the path east, under a canopy of oak, alder, spruce, cedar, fir, and pine. After 1.8 miles you reach the entrance to the Cucamonga Wilderness. The trail gets steeper as you travel up the canyon. In 3.5 miles from the start, you reach Icehouse Saddle, a nice destination if you'd like to turn back at this point. If you're heading on to Timber Mountain, take the trail to the left (north). Follow the trail as it switchbacks up the southwest-facing slope of Timber. At the west ridge before the trail heads down to the saddle between Timber Mountain and Telegraph Peak, turn right (east) on the marked spur trail, following it .25 mile to the summit. After soaking in the beauty of this splendid high country, return the way you came.

Amazing Hike next is Cucamonga peak !

I love this trail!! It just gets so crowded on weekends it's ridiculous. Slow hikers, I love you, but please just step aside if someone needs to pass. It's not a big deal. Just one little step. Much appreciated!

Great Hike. Get there early otherwise there is no parking. Take plenty of water, numerous people were turning around because they ran out.
I continued past the saddle to TimberMt. Excellent scenery at the sign for the last 1/4 mile to Timber not so much at the top. Overall a very enjoyable hike.

It's a really beautiful trail. With the drought, the river hasn't been as full. During the winter this trail is difficult due to ice and snow.

Great morning hike!

We started the hike at 6:45am on a Saturday and finished at 10. We probably should have started earlier only because the parking lot was already full and by the time we started descending, there were way too many people going up the trail, which was sort of annoying. It was a fun hike though! Pretty difficult as it was very rocky and the incline was unrelenting. But it was doable and we enjoyed it.

Went in a group of 7 women and completed the trail. Myself and another went onto timber mountain from saddle (another .9 miles). Bring lots of water and bug spray. Hiking poles are optional but are always helpful. I brought hiking poles but didn't really use them. I only used them when we went onto timber mountain due to steep inclines. The trail can also be completed alone if you're a moderate to avid hiker. I will definitely be going back and head to the other peaks. FYI: we hiked on a week day so parking was available. However the spacing is limited so if you're coming on a weekend come very early. Adventure pass is required.

This trail will kick your butt! Be careful on the ridges as they can get very narrow slippery. Bring LOTS of water.

Great trail for any season!!!

I did this trail in 80-degree weather in the mid-afternoon. I saw a large rattle snake about halfway up (right before the wilderness sign) and another one within .5 miles. It's a tough hike, but the canyon scenery is definitely worth it.

It was a great hike with beautiful views up top. Some parts of the trail are extremely narrow but overall I liked it.

This time we went straight up icehouse canyon to the saddle. I prefer the chapman loop it is less traveled , less steep, and very picturesque although it is longer. There is limited parking in the lot so we had to park 1/4 mile down the street and walk up. Nice day , fair breeze , some wildlife about to enjoy.

Busy trail but overall great trek.

Nice and hard Trail, then we did the loop, Chapman,is really hard to,if you before get to saddle you will see the sign and do it is really nice and the view is beautiful.

Did this today and loved it. Going the extra mile from the saddle is for sure worth it. I loved being at the Timber Mountain sign and definitely hugged it when I got there. Took 3 hrs to get up but only 1 hr 45 mins to get down.

This is my favorite trail. Today I went past the Saddle to Timber Mountain and ate lunch there. Took about 3 hrs to summit and 1 hr and 45 mins to get back down. It is heavily shaded. Also it is super populated on the weekends, so I suggest going on a weekday.