EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Ice House Canyon Trail

Ice House Canyon Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, CA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ice House Canyon is just under 8 miles long and located near Mt Baldy. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day. The Ice House Canyon is a popular day hike with a trail head just north of Mount Baldy Village. The trail is not to strenuous, but if you are hiking in the winter, snow and Ice is a factor. The saddle is the destination for most hikers and views of Mount Baldy and Ontario Peak can be seen. You will follow a stream for almost the first two miles of the hike. There are great little cabins along the way as well. The trail also leads to several other trail, good backpacking and even to Mount Baldy.

Icehouse Canyon Trail is a great cardio trail up to Icehouse Saddle. Rocky, Plenty of trees for shade. Ascent about 2500 feet. It was very pleasant and cool at the saddle. For some reason it was extremely hazy. Could not smell smoke. I intended to go back down the same way for a 7.2 mile roundtrip, when I missed the turn and ended up on the Chapman Trail. I was told this was more scenic. Now I know why. It hugs the side of the mountain all of the way down. The trail is very narrow in many spots with loose rock. I felt myself hugging the rocks in certain situations. You are very exposed in certain areas, and would not want to be on this trail in high winds. Not for the faint of heart. Luckily, I was able to descend with 3 other people whom also made the same mistake as me. It hooks backup with Icehouse with about .8 miles left to the trailhead. Very scenic is the Chapman but unnerving at time. Total miles 9.0 , Ascent 2480, hours 4:45 (2 hours up to Icehouse saddle on the Icehouse Canyon Trail) 2:45 down via Chapman. Next time its Icehouse trail up and down. I will avoid descending on the Chapman.

Amazing hike, beautiful scenery and a fantastic workout. Only problem is it is busy busy busy up to the saddle. lots of loose rock in sections of the trail make it a bit tricky however that should not stop anybody.

Kickass!!!

This was an interesting hike. It was number 18 of #52hikechallenge #52hikechallenge2016 . I stepped off at the Icehouse Canyon Trailhead at about 0725 and I set out to hike the Chapman Trail which loops around the Icehouse Canyon Trail. I hit the Chapman Trail about .9 miles in. Although it is a much less traveled trail then Icehouse Canyon, it was kept up well. Some parts of the trail are not very wide. I highly recommend long sleeve shirt and long pants or you will get scratched up. I had both.  At about the 2 ½ mile mark I made to Cedar Glen Camp Ground. I continued on for a while making it up to about 6600 feet. Almost instantly, it became very cold and windy. Winds about 25 to 30 miles an hour. I stopped and found myself wondering if I should continue on. The trail wasn’t very wide at this point. I felt I was standing on the edge of a cliff. It was getting cold, rain was coming and it was very windy. I only had about 1.5 miles to go, but the conditions were a recipe for disaster. I recalled something I read not too long ago (I think on SoCal Hiker) that said if you have to think about (or second guess) whether you should continue, you should turn back. Better safe than sorry.

I turned back heading down to the Icehouse Canyon Trail. On the way I met two hikers (Daniel and Ottie). Ottie asked if I saw the Helicopter Pad at Cedar Glen. Long story short I turned around and went back to Cedar Glen with them and sure enough, hidden where you would never know, was a Helicopter Pad (see pictures). We had some great conversations. Ottie was a 69, and has been hiking up here for years. He worked Forrest Rescue for 12 years in the Mt Baldy area. So glad I met them and returned to Cedar Glen before continuing back down. It made a bad day much better.

Hiked in early February, too much ice/snow on the trail to make it to the saddle. Wish I would have had crampons, probably would have made it past 2.5 miles. Didn't get to the good views but hiking next to the stream was very nice and the canyon walls offer great scenery in their own right.

Great views, totally doable for the pups. There was a decent dusting of snow and some cold winds running through, definitely best to wear and bring layers! Good amount of elevation gain towards the end half of the hike as well.

Great hike.

One of my favorite hikes in LA, easy to get to. Best time to go is start of winter when it snows but not too much. There's a lot of ice, people do get hurt on this trail often, so always be alert. Only made it to the Cucamonga trailhead but wish I had more time to go further. Will come back many more times.

We didn't start until later and I thought it would of been too hot, but there was plenty of shade and s nice canyon breeze to make it tolerant. I also took my 4 kids (9,7,5,3) and they did great. The stream made it fun for them.

Great hike right near los angeles. definitely not alone, but didn't feel crowded. crossed lots of people with much better sun protection than we had. Trail is well shaded by the trees and the hill in the morning, but sun was blasting away on the way down. Water down low, not much up high. bring plenty (we didn't). top has steep switchbacks that can take a lot out of you. not a novice hike. However, the bottom of the trail gives lots of fun places to picnick and relax if you don't feel like going all the way up.

I love this hike- I've done it many times. A fair warning: a portion (maybe a half mile?) of the trail travels across Telegraph Wash. This portion of the trail is dilapidated and difficult to see. Be sure to look for the trail markers (usually smaller rocks that are stacked in an unnatural way (i.e. by humans)). Trail markers are often used in areas where the trail is difficult to mark or see (i.e. crossing a rock slab or crossing a wash). Here's a great example of this sort of trail marker (from a different hike): https://motionphotographyonline.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/jmt-1-23.jpg

Happy Hiking!

Hiked Ice House on March 22, and took us awhile because it was very icy. Good hike though.

Good trails for most of the way. Did get narrow in spots and tough footing around the areas where the rockslides came down a couple of summers ago. Great views, especially in February where there was snow on the ground and a storm moving in Saturday night. Cold and windy but a fun trip to get out of the desert trails from the prior few weeks. Have to love Southern Cal.

Amazing!