Ice House Canyon Trail

Ice House Canyon Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ice House Canyon is just under 8 miles long and located near Mt Baldy. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day. The Ice House Canyon is a popular day hike with a trail head just north of Mount Baldy Village. The trail is not to strenuous, but if you are hiking in the winter, snow and Ice is a factor. The saddle is the destination for most hikers and views of Mount Baldy and Ontario Peak can be seen. You will follow a stream for almost the first two miles of the hike. There are great little cabins along the way as well. The trail also leads to several other trail, good backpacking and even to Mount Baldy.

Went up ice house canyon to the saddle and then from there to Timber mtn. Was around 3300 elevation gain and 9 miles. Snow on the trail pretty early on and a foot deep or more on way up to timber mtn. No trail to follow on last 1/4 mile so had to follow others footsteps. Used micro spikes starting about 1/2 mile from saddle on up and good part of way down. If you like hiking in the snow this is good time to go. Make sure your prepared. Lots of YouTube vids to help out.

loved this trail. So far my favorite in Mount Baldy!!!

10/24/16: We waited 30 minutes for the rain to stop then headed up toward the saddle via Chapman trail with plans to return Icehouse Canyon Trial. We started at 10:05 a.m. and finished around 2 p.m. The weather was nippy and the air wonderfully fresh! It was definitely fall, with all the beautiful colors! The Chapman trail can get narrow in spots(maybe 1' wide, but that don't last long). The narrow spots could be a problem for those fearful of heights. I feel it is safer to ascend the narrow portions than descend ( Up Chapman and down Icehouse). The fog got so bad that we decided to head down at the junction of Icehouse and Chapman rather than make it to the saddle. It was very windy and we could hardly see each other, and there would be no view. My Garmin GPS clocked it as 8.5 miles. I hike quite a bit, and I'm 64. I found the most difficult part to be the trail surface. There are some spots that are kind under foot and then it becomes rocky. I did not find it nearly as difficult as Mount Baldy (Ski hut trail- not Devil's Backbone). I definitely recommend boots with good tread, poles (they can save you from a nasty fall), plenty of snacks, water and perhaps an additional layer of clothing for the top when your sit to eat. Don't ever trust mountain weather this time of year...it can change quickly! I plan to go up again and try to make it to Cucamonga Peak before the snow flies! It is a beautiful hike.

Loved it! Beautiful all around!

This was a long but fun hike, lots of petrified wood and beautiful scenery. You start at 5000 feet and climb up. Proper hiking boots highly recommended!

Icehouse Canyon Trail is a great cardio trail up to Icehouse Saddle. Rocky, Plenty of trees for shade. Ascent about 2500 feet. It was very pleasant and cool at the saddle. For some reason it was extremely hazy. Could not smell smoke. I intended to go back down the same way for a 7.2 mile roundtrip, when I missed the turn and ended up on the Chapman Trail. I was told this was more scenic. Now I know why. It hugs the side of the mountain all of the way down. The trail is very narrow in many spots with loose rock. I felt myself hugging the rocks in certain situations. You are very exposed in certain areas, and would not want to be on this trail in high winds. Not for the faint of heart. Luckily, I was able to descend with 3 other people whom also made the same mistake as me. It hooks backup with Icehouse with about .8 miles left to the trailhead. Very scenic is the Chapman but unnerving at time. Total miles 9.0 , Ascent 2480, hours 4:45 (2 hours up to Icehouse saddle on the Icehouse Canyon Trail) 2:45 down via Chapman. Next time its Icehouse trail up and down. I will avoid descending on the Chapman.