Hunters Trail

Hunters Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Foresthill, CA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Note: This trail hasn't been maintained since the 2014 King Fire. Directions from Georgetown,: Travel 15 miles east on Wentworth Springs Road, turn north on Eleven Pines Road. Continue 5 miles to the Rubicon River.

My 6 friends and I had a great idea to hike the 10 mile Hunter trail up to hellhole reservoir. From there we are going to trek to upper hellhole which is an extra 4 miles. I had a deadline at work so I had to miss the first day of hiking so one friends and I drove straight to the reservoir. My 5 friends who were on the hunter trail tried to make it, but after 2 miles the trail disappeared. There was a big fire in 2014 and it destroyed the trail. Burnt trees, fallen trees everywhere and new brush over growing the whole area. No shade, there is a river for some of it until you have to go over a mountain for the last 2 miles. My friend and I went to upper hellhole the next day thinking they might be there. They were not. We finally got a beep on our radio from them and they just arrived at the reservoir at 6 the next day. My friend and I hiked through the night back to the reservoir. Surprised the 5 boys and restored some moral. The trail to upper hell hole is okay. Definitely do able, very rocky and unsteady, but worth it. Just don't do the Hunters trail! Unless you want to make it for future hikers that would be great.

Summary, after the pools in the rubicon there is no hunters trail to hellhole.

This trail hasn't been maintained since the 2014 King Fire. The first 2 miles are decently maintained and then it gradually gets turned into nothingness. We spent 2 full days attempting to navigate and GPS locate the trail to no avail. Ended up bush wacking through endless backcountry and up 1.5 miles over a hill with zero trail or signage. Absolutely do not recommend.

Well maintained for being so far out in the back country. Hell Hole Reservoir has some beautiful views. Steep up and back trail.

This is a beautiful 10 mile riparian trail (up to 20-miles out and back). The trail is very well maintained and open to hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers. I graded this trail as "easy" due to it's very good condition and very little elevation gain. The only exception is the final 1.5 miles on the eastern trail end which climbs up to a road that borders the Hell Hole Reservoir. Here, the trail condition drops slightly. The remainder of the trail is easy as it stays relatively level and follows the beautiful Rubicon River. Even though this riparian trail stays below 4500', I was surprised to see absolutely no poison oak. There are short side trails down to the river. This trail is very similar to the beautiful South Yuba Trail, but without the poison oak.