Humphreys Basin Trail

Humphreys Basin Trail is a 8.7 mile out and back trail located near Bishop, CA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fishing and is accessible from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a beautiful hike. For most of the hike up to Piute pass you are following a creek. There are two crossings over the creek, but they each have a log for an easy crossing. Dogs are allowed on the trail as long as you keep them on the leash while you are in and near the campground/trailhead. I took my dog Suki overnight into Humphreys basin and we both loved it. On the way up you will pass Loch Leven and Piute Lake. Once you reach Piute Pass, you have some different options. I went toward Muriel lake and camped there. In the morning, we hiked to Wahoo Lakes and then down to Golden Trout Lake where we had lunch and I caught a few trout. If you take this route the trail ends at muriel lake and when you head down from Wahoo lakes, it is a bit sketchy. We where able to find our way down without too much trouble, but I would imagine if you picked the wrong route, it could get ugly. Then we headed for Piute Pass again, and headed down the hill. This is a great day hike up to Piute Pass, or overnighter to see some more of what Humphreys basin has to offer. We hiked up on sunday and saw quite a few people on the trail, mostly heading down. once we got into Humphreys basin, we only saw a few other people. Overall a great hike.