Homestead-Blue Ridge Trail

Homestead-Blue Ridge Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Winters, CA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

great Fall or early Spring time hike

Today was a perfect day for this hike. We started out around 10:30 after the morning chill was gone and we completed it around 2:00. We took some good breaks to refuel and take in the scenery. This hiking trail was damaged severely last year by a fire. A lot of the trail has been washed away and the wooden steps that were burned, most have been replaced but not at their original intervals. With a lot of the brush gone, you get a lot more spectacular views. There is still a little bushwacking but not much. There is also some rock crawling in an attempt to get through the ridge of this trail. Other than that, be careful if the ground is wet, it is slippery in many areas on the south/east side of the trail. The trail is about 5+ miles now since they had to re-route it after the fire. This is a pretty nice hike. It is difficult but very rewarding. This is a no dogs trail but we saw almost as many dogs as people.

It was Fucking awesome mother fucker, but there was one weird dude

Great hike, challenging but worth the views. A little disappointed by the number of dogs on the trail considering the first posted rule was no dogs.

great fall hike. Lots of scrambling along the summits along the ridge. Definitely not an easy hike. Nice views at the summit though. Go early to avoid the crowds and heat.

Love this trail!!!! Definitely worth it when
U reach to the top:)

I live within 30 minutes of this trail and if you are looking for some good steep switchbacks take the blue ridge trail up and the homestead down. Great views of the lake and nice feeling of being surrounded by the mountains. Overall a great little work out. It isn't easy but it is definitely doable for anyone in decent shape. Great hike for those in Davis, Winters, Vacaville or Fairfield

I've hiked this trail twice. The first time was in the heat and it was unwise! The second time was in October and much better. There is no view until you reach the top, aside from that I wouldn't call it beautiful but at least you'd outside :)

A good section has steps so be ready for those. Pretty good climb but manageable.

Great, difficult hike that definitely gets your heart pumping! Bring lots & lots of water and I'd recommend starting before 10am because It gets really hot and the sun begins to burn by 9:30am! So wear lots of sunblock and appropriate shoes!

Enjoyed the challenging hike and views. Will be back.

I've done this hike a couple of times and love it! Definitely a climb for most of the way up but the view of the lake is spectacular at the top! Well worth the strenuous hike.

Amazing work out. Difficult at some point. Take lots of water with you on the hot day.

This app said that this trail was dog friendly yet when I arrived there were signs that stated no dogs. I saw many people bringing dogs off the trail after completion and some just starting. So after making that drive, I just went for it with Kona on leash. The trail was not very maintained- constantly ducking underneath overhanging branches and scrapping my legs from over-grown shrubs. (Sounding a bit crybaby-ish right now, I'm aware) The top ridge climbing for me was a bit more difficult than moderate, and it was not great for a leashed dog. Views at top nice but overall experience not that great.

This is NOT a moderate hike...this is a difficult hike. A lot of climbing. My FitBit recorded 173 floors! And it's a bit closer to 5 miles, not 4.4. Take plenty of water and hiking shoes would be best.

Awesome

Decent hike. Last year's fire wiped out many trees and bushes. If you like looking at burnt trees this is the hike for you. The view of Lake Berryessa from the top is nice.

I have embarked on this little adventure on July 10th, as a spontaneous decision to explore something fairly local in the state. It was midday and very sunny, so I was aware that I should be bringing a decent amount of water for a trail that is over 4 miles long. I took my dad along with me and although I was a bit concerned about how well his body would respond to the demands of this trail, I was very elated to discover that he actually enjoyed it after it was all completed as a loop. He had heart surgery last summer following a heart attack, so it was a bit strenuous for him, especially when we approached the very steep winding steps toward the Blue ridge portion. At that point, we saw several fellow hikers turn back because after having to endure the heavy sun during the shadeless part of the hike, the steep slope was too much of a challenge, it seemed. Since it was our first time on this trail, we were curious about what was ahead, so we kept trekking along. The view of lake Berryessa was gorgeous and well worth the epic rock-climbing-esque feature of the hike, at least in our opinion. It wasn't until we completed the loop that we figured we walked significantly way more than the 4.4 mile distance we were informed about, perhaps because of the modifications that were done to the trail to compensate for the 2015 forest fire. My phone's pedometer clocked me at about 18,000 steps by the time we returned to our car. I didn't do too much walking before the hike that day, so I would wager that the trail we took translated to about 8 or 9 miles.

I gave this trail 5 stars, because despite the heavy heat that day, I think we were well prepared to mitigate any complications from it. Your body can sweat up to 1 liter of water per hour in high temperatures, so keep that in mind if it looks sunny and expect a long hike ahead. We packed consumables with electrolytes, such as salt crackers and coconut water. Wearing synthetic clothing can also help regulate body temperature, so it is better to cover up with that material than to fully expose the skin to the sun, based on my experience. I recently returned from a trip to Death Valley, so I was happy to apply the knowledge I acquired from that trip but closer to home. This trail was a bit challenging but it was a beautiful sight from the ridges. If you are prepared for the conditions, I am sure you will enjoy any experience.