Hiouchi Trail

Hiouchi Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Crescent City, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

One of my favorite hikes in the area. I do one longer than the one posted here usually. i usually hike to Howland hills rd and back and it can be extended in both directions. It doesn't get near as much traffic when the temporary bridge is not in place for the summer.

I hike this trail regularly as I live in nearby Hiouchi. This trail connects with others that can make this hike a very long one through remote areas. I've hiked a 15 mile route (30 miles round trip from the Hwy 199 trailhead) and it goes further. If you do the 40 mile loop, there are camping areas. However, you can reach the same camping area by other, shorter routes. The first part of the Hiouchi trail which parallels the Smith River is the prettiest part of the hike in my opinion.

Not dog friendly

We loved it and it was a great hike. Easy terrain and pretty views of river and big trees with water access at several points along the way to cool off or picnic. Took 3 kids along and 2 dogs on leash and we went 7.5 miles round trip but could have gone further if we had started earlier. Various other trails go on from there. Trail head was easy to miss and parking not great. Pedometer said 13640 steps! :)

Great walk. Beautiful. Easy but can be made much more difficult just by increasing pace. Slow or fast it's enjoyable.

Tried to find the trail head for this from the Jedediah Smith Campground, but was told by the ranger that dogs were not allowed on it.

Great trail..... Beautiful hike! Will for sure do again!

nice trail that follows the smith river and leads to an old tall tree grove. walked the trail with family aging from 13 to 50 and was manageable for all. depending on pace it can take from 2-3 hours.

My Son Bryan and I ran this trail on a rainy day, he is getting ready for a marathon and we're both trying to get ready for the Tough Mudder in Tahoe. Good running trail

A very easy trail with beautiful views of the smith river throughout. This trail also links up to other trails including the stout grove loop featuring some of the best redwood trees in the area. There is usually heavy traffic on the trail as it is very popular and connects to the jed smith campground when the seasonal footbridge is connected during the summer months. The hardest section is the first half mile off the highway 199 trail head.