Sunrise Camp to May Lake Trail

Sunrise Camp to May Lake Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Yosemite National Park, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until November.

7.7 miles 1863 feet Point to Point

Views of Half Dome, Teyana Lake, and lovely May Lake The hike heads out west past the lovely Sunrise lake. At the first trail junction after the lakes, walk about 100 yards to the top of the rise for a spectacular view of Half Dome and Yosemite Valley. Next the trail drops down steeply into Tuolumne Meadows. We stopped at the lovely Teyana Lake for lunch, then crossed the highway and headed back uphill to May Lake High Sierra Camp. We rose early to watch the sunrise over Lake May and Mount Hoffman, which was a real treat. We wish we had time actually climb Mount Hoffman, which I understand is an awesome day hike.

I have never seem so many Mosquitos in my life. Pure torture. They swarm.

I went in the opposite direction, from May Lake to Sunrise Lakes. The downhill from May Lake to Teyana Lake is nice and easy, but the climb from Teyana to Sunrise is mostly steep and unrelenting. It is very cool to look across the valley and see where you were earlier that same day, the peaks that tower above May Lake, There's not much water between Teyana and Sunrise Lakes so fill up at the bottom. The lakes themselves are a good place to take a quick dip after a hot climb. And although I didn't stay there that night (I went ahead to Cathedral Lakes), the backpackers campground at Sunrise High Sierrra Camp had great views overlooking a huge meadow.