May Lake to Glen Aulin Trail

May Lake to Glen Aulin Trail is a 22.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite National Park, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

Pretty forested hike, with waterfall heaven at the destination The northward, mostly downhill hike from May Lake to Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp is lovely forested hike, but is somewhat unremarkable. The real payoff is just as you approach the camp with a stunning series of cascades and waterfall, with Glen Aulin falls just a few hundred feet from the camp itself. Once in camp, hiking up the Tuolumne River is a must do day hike. Placid waters, roaring falls, and soaring granite cliffs make for a wonderous hike. We didn't make it all the way to Wagon Wheel Falls, but I understand that it is a sight to behold.

this was our first backpacking adventure and with packs it was a challenge for us but the views were amazing and we'll worth it. we started at the May Lake trailhead and ended our complete 3 day trip at Tuolumne Meadows visitor center.

I went in the opposite direction, from Glen Aulin to May Lake, and despite the almost unrelenting uphill climb, it was well worth it. The portions near Glen Aulin were still mosquito infested even in mid-July, but once you got up onto the granite switchbacks they were gone. The climb up to the over pass is grueling with a pack but the views on the way and up at the top are well worth it. And May Lake itself is stunning. The backpacker camp there is very nice and close to the lake, but it was crowded (I happened to hit it on a Saturday night during my 4-night trek). May Lake is a good fishing lake too starting in late afternoon (caught 3 nice rainbow trout).