Hidden Falls Trails

Hidden Falls Trails is a 5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Auburn, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

This hike was beautiful! I would recommend going before it gets too hot during the day. I forgot that the last stretch of the trail was all uphill. But a great workout with some beautiful scenery.

Excellent trail and not difficult at all! Beautiful scenery...would do it again. Recommend arriving early so you can get parking.

Amazing! First time hiking/walking. Easy trail and lots of short cuts. Water areas were worth the whole thing!

This is a great hike for the Autumn or cooler seasons, not for the Summer. I learned the hard way and felt bad for my dog, it was my first time hitting this trail in the summer. I took the South Legacy Trail and looped all the way to North Legacy Trail and back to the beginning point. I should have started the hike at the crack of dawn to be honest because by the time I hit North Legacy it was so hot! There was definitely less shade so you are in direct sun most of the way. The amount of water I brought which was my full camelbak and extra hydro flasks for me and my dog was not enough. We went through water like nothing and nearly died of heat exhaustion! The hike itself was not challenging, but the amount of heat and sunlight made it so much more difficult. Aside from that the scenery was nice, we walked along a herd of goats and some cows. Anyways, if you decide to take the longer trail in the summertime be prepared and try to get there before the sun rises.

Took the north legacy trail to the hidden falls outlook. If you check the trail map at the bridge with the salmon run its easier to figure out where you are headed because the trail markers aren't specific. Nice trail, not too difficult. The overlook at the falls is very nice and has a great view. I elected to climb down to the base of the falls via the rocks beneath the outlook, which was definitely not impossible but a little tricky. Going back the trail is a steady uphill grade. Bring lots of water. There were quite a few people on the trail and at the swimming holes but it wasn't too crowded.

One of our favorites! Sort of interesting since you hike mostly down on your way in and up on your way out. Great for active dogs.

Amazing! Lots of different trail options for all levels. Bring swimming gear & water shoes with grips; swimming hole is slippery. Plenty of shade & benches along the way. Great family hiking!!

Plan on returning! There is much to see and so many different paths to explore. I love that there are spots to stop and take a dip to cool off, or sit and enjoy a sandwich and a drink along the way. Just pack out everything you bring! It was disheartening to see people had left empty water bottles and other drink containers behind. So Disrespectful! Otherwise a great half day trip. I

EZ Trail with a waterfall at the end. not much to write home about.

Good hike, nice views.

I did the North Legacy to South Legacy along the canal and up around the back side on my way out. Decided to run back on the other side of creek and took Creek Side trail back out. First half mile was great then up we went for the last 3 miles...painful up hills. 9.5 miles total

I'm not writing about the same trail as others for this entry; the trail called Hidden Falls I'm referring to is off of Mosquito Ridge Road on the way to French Camp Meadows Reservoir east of Auburn. It was a relatively easy walk for about 0.5 miles in the shade, but all downhill to (and therefore uphill on return). The walk ends with a wood platform with railing to view the falls dropping several hundred feet into the large chasm separating the one ridge from another, so while spectacular, the falls were very distant. Bring binoculars if you go. Evening does indeed bring out the mosquitoes on that walk. The Foresthill Divide area in Tahoe National Park is gorgeous.

Took my 2 year old daughter with me we both had a good time got a little warm at mid day but the shade was nice to keep you cool enough will end up returning in the future

great trail mostly shaded and plenty to see and explore