Henninger Flats Trail

Henninger Flats Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pasadena, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fire road, easy hikebike, nice views The hike to Henninger Flats is on a fire road with no shade. Therefore, hike very early during the summer. There are nice views of LA if you happen to hike after a rain storm or a windy day. Scenery is nice when you reach the Flat. There is a Nature center, a picnic area and public campground set amid trees.

9 minutes ago

It's been about 3 decades since I've been up to the flats , My greatest memories of being up there was when I was in elementary school. A teacher by the name of David Osborne use to take us kids hiking up the trails (Group of 20 or so) .We would get up to the flats have lunch and then have a few games of capture the flag ...
Mr. Osborne died of cancer when I was about 10 years old I'm 41 now ....

I'm planning on a hike up there real soon just to take a day to remember a great Teacher,coach and friend !

Thanks for the memories!

Good hike on a cool or overcast day. Be careful where you park in surrounding neighborhoods. No parking signs can be hidden by bushes.

Detoured to this trail since Millard-Dawn Mine was closed (1-4 July, 2016). Straightforward enough, decent views and not overly crowded early on a Saturday.

Henniger Flats itself is a charming spot with picnic tables and lots of big trees. Do not skip the little museum, it has some great photos from the golden age of the Front Range hiking. We spent much more time in there than I would have thought.

Note that I only turned on AllTrails for the descent, had forgotten to turn it on when we started. Total round trip is about 6 miles.

Fireroad to top. About 2.5 to get there from the bridge entrance. Great views. Nice campground at top, with pine trees and ranger buildings. No water anymore(6/2016). Steep fireroad sections, but generally easier than some other local trails up the face of the front range.

a great hike to build endurance and push your self. start early and try to reach the flats in 45 min to an hour. if you have time go for mt wilson with the toll rd 18 miles