Henninger Flats Trail

Henninger Flats Trail is a 12 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pasadena, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fire road, easy hikebike, nice views The hike to Henninger Flats is on a fire road with no shade. Therefore, hike very early during the summer. There are nice views of LA if you happen to hike after a rain storm or a windy day. Scenery is nice when you reach the Flat. There is a Nature center, a picnic area and public campground set amid trees.

Detoured to this trail since Millard-Dawn Mine was closed (1-4 July, 2016). Straightforward enough, decent views and not overly crowded early on a Saturday.

Henniger Flats itself is a charming spot with picnic tables and lots of big trees. Do not skip the little museum, it has some great photos from the golden age of the Front Range hiking. We spent much more time in there than I would have thought.

Note that I only turned on AllTrails for the descent, had forgotten to turn it on when we started. Total round trip is about 6 miles.

Fireroad to top. About 2.5 to get there from the bridge entrance. Great views. Nice campground at top, with pine trees and ranger buildings. No water anymore(6/2016). Steep fireroad sections, but generally easier than some other local trails up the face of the front range.

a great hike to build endurance and push your self. start early and try to reach the flats in 45 min to an hour. if you have time go for mt wilson with the toll rd 18 miles

I went on this trail at a bad time. It was too hot,but I pushed my way to the campgrounds. it was very fresh and rewarding up there. lots of rattlesnakes out on hot days. Try this trail on a fresh, not so sunny day.

Always a nice trail. Not difficult to do. Great views peaceful at top.

Was awesome time

enjoyed this trail. clean. well maintained and not crowded. view at the top...worth the climb.

Medium hike a bit long since I hiked Eaton Canyon on the same day

I've done this trail 3 times. I wouldn't say it's easy unless you're an avid hiker. it's mostly incline the entire way up with a few spots with benches to take a breather before continuing. the view from Henniger Flats is worth it though. people on the trail were friendly. it wasn't crowded (though the weekends could be a different story) but for sure go early in the morning to beat the heat!!!

It's a direct and wide trail to the campground. It was mainly incline all the way but very doable. The view up top was one of the nicest I've seen. It's quiet and takes you away from the city.

Great hiking for beginners

Basic out & back trail with consistently steep incline the whole way to Henniger Flats. Enjoyable hike with the cloudy skies today. Don't think I would want to do this hike in the blazing sun. Many nice people and dogs on the trail.

Fairly straight forward climb and descent. I like it as a training hike for a trip I'm planning. I like the wide path. There is no protection from the sun, so I go early. I've done the night Sierra Club hike, but prefer seeing where I'm going.

I hike this every other morning at 4:30AM for exercise. About 1 1/2 hours up and back.

6/30/15 - Finally got back into hiking after shoulder surgery! Started at 7:30pm to avoid the heat of the day. Trail traffic was light with about half a dozen each of hikers and mountain bikers. Since I was starting late I knew the gate on Pinecrest would be closed, so my exit point was through the fence gap off Altadena, before Eaton Canyon Nature Center, and then a short hike up the roadway back to the car at Pinecrest.. There were only a few sandy areas on incline so the trail grip was excellent! Ran into a beautiful rattlesnake crossing the trail at around half distance. It was about 2 1/2-3ft in length and never became aggressive, just was watching as we were. I noticed the Henninger Flat sign at the top is gone, but it made for a nice seating area to rest and overlook the city. The nearly full moon was fantastic and made for an awesome moonlit hike without needing to use the headlamp, and temperatures remained excellent with a nice light breeze for the hike down. If you are familiar with the trail and exit point after sunset it's an excellent summer evening choice!

Good trail. I don't know that I would call it easy, though. Moderate, but not easy.

Good exercise.