Hellhole Canyon

Hellhole Canyon is a 5.1 mile out and back trail located near Borrego Springs, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until May.

Please note that I am writing this review almost one and half years after the hike took place on October 7, 2015. I noticed there was no reviews of this satisfying hike so I decided to post mine. Very easy access to the trail head right off Highway 22. Less than 10 minutes from Christmas Circle and a large dirt parking lot. Be aware that there are several trails leaving from the parking lot. Hellhole Canyon Trail starts level. No switchbacks but a nice mostly level hike through beautiful open desert. You come across three faux grave sites to pound home the point to carry water. The trail was lightly used on this warm October day. I was surprised since there only a few trails in the park that do not require a four wheel drive to get to the trailhead. No litter at all but we did come across a few very old tin cans that had a "historical" look about them. No, we did not come across any mountain lions. As we hiked the trail it lead to a canyon and the open desert slowly
disappeared. I was informed there would be water dripping down canyon walls. We heard the water dripping but due to the increasing larger boulders and undergrowth that we had to negotiate we decided to stop at the outer edge of the oasis to relax and eat. My favorite all-time hiking partner is an expert at locating Indian grinding mortar holes. She found another one. We will hopefully return in the future and go further.