Hart Tree Loop Trail

Hart Tree Loop Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kings Canyon National Pk, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until November.

THIS TRAIL IS NOT LOCATED IN SPRINGVILLE, CA. The Hart Tree and Fallen Goliath Trail is a 6.5 mile loop trail located in Redwood Canyon near Grant Grove Village in Kings Canyon NP. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is good for all skill levels.

We did this trail in November. The park was busier than expected, but this trail was very quiet and peaceful. We only saw about 5 other people in total.

The trail begins near Quail Flats down a dirt road across the street. Apparently they sometimes close the road, which if you had to walk to the trail head would add about 4 miles to the total distance. Fortunately for us the road was open and we could drive direct to the trail head.

The trail begins across from the Sugar Bowl trail. We went in the clockwise direction. It was beautiful. You see a lot of landmarks, including the site of an old fence mill from the 1800s, Pierce Log Cabin (which was made from a fire hollowed sequoia), a fire fallowed tree you can walk through, a meadow, the Hart tree itself, a lot of little creeks and a little waterfall, fallen Goliath (which we somehow missed), a back country campsite, and a log foot bridge. All this accompanied by beautiful vistas and massive trees at every turn. Our favorite was the waterfall thou. We even had lunch by it.

Fall was a great time to go as there were indeed leaves on the ground and color in some trees. I definitely recommend it.

One thing I didn't account for was the number of hills to be climbed on this trail. It is definitely more moderate than easy in difficulty. Towards the end I definitely started feeling it.

Our new favorite trail, especially when the park is busy.

We camped where the SugarBowl Trail and Hart Tree trail meet after hiking in on the Sugar Bowl Trail. The Sugar Bowl was amazing with nonstop groves of Giant Sequoia, and views across the canyon and beyond. We camped at the base of a couple huge Sequoia on the south end of Redwood Creek Trail. The following morning we did the long climb out of the canyon, and it was pretty relentless. Did the Hart Tree Trail counter-clockwise, and again loved the scenery. I think this trail has more "landmarks" than the Sugar Bowl Trail. We saw a bear cub playing in a meadow about halfway back to the trailhead. Also, be advised the sign says its 4.5 miles, but gps put it at more like 5.25 from the junction with sugar bowl to the parking lot. Took us about 4 hours with lots of stops for pictures, and a great lunch at this beautiful little waterfall. Not many mosquitos, didn't notice ticks, all around a great trip!

Did it today. Also had to hike the 2 mile road in and back because it wasnt open to make the total 11.3. This trail is advertised as easy, it is not easy. I went clockwise and when you add the 2 mile climb out it is moderate to strenuous. I dont know if the counter clockwise route is different, but make sure to pay attention to topo for the route you go. I was planning to bust out 10 miles fairly quick due to the trail being an easy one with soft climbs and falls. I finished just under 6 hours and my legs are feeling it. Otherwise, great trail. No marker for fallen goliath that I saw. The trail doesnt follow what the maps show very well, what is here on alltrails is pretty accurate.

Just did this trail today. We had the whole trail to ourselves and never saw anyone else. The trail was easy enough for beginners with only a few uphill spurts. I'd say about 80% of the trail is flat, and all of it is covered with cushiony pine needles.
The up close encounters with the giant trees is second to none. We had a great time climbing the large fallen trees and pointing out all the fire scars along the way.
My one gripe about the trail is pretty trivial. After the two look outs the path changes very little, and by the end I found myself walking fast just to get to done. But again, what I grew bored of was amazingly beautiful trees so take what I say with a grain of salt. It might have to do with hiking for 2 days straight.
Oh, and the dirt road leading down to the trailhead is almost two miles. Drive slow and you should have no problem.

This trail, although one of my favorites, is a popular trail up in King's Canyon Park; so consequently, there are other hikers. If you like being alone on a hike, this one is not for you. The giant Sequoias make this hike meaningful. It's a lovely hike. This is a moderate hike because of the length and some elevation gain.