Grays Peak Trail

Grays Peak Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fawnskin, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Fawnskin, CA: Travel west on Highway 38 for 0.6-mile to reach the Gray's Peak Trailhead, which is located on the west side of Highway 38, across from the Grout Bay Picnic Ground.

I enjoyed this hike because of the scenery. It was relaxing and a great workout at the same time.

One of the best trails I have done in California.

The trail around and at the top isn't very great for a view and is blocked by many trees. If you venture of the trail slightly when your around the top you will have breathtaking views all around you.

Amazing views! And they kept getting better towards the end of the trail. Took me bout 2 hours round trip, but mostly because I stopped often to take photos. Great experience!

Great hike! Beautiful view from the top!

Well marked trail. Pretty much a moderate climb on the way up. It's about 7 miles round trip. Felt long on the way back! Beautiful view at the peak. Travels through an old burn area. I only saw a couple people on the way up, but several groups on the way back. Several well-behaved dogs. Everyone was very nice. I was hoping to see some eagles but no luck. Lots of little animals and birds. A coyote actually crossed the road on my way there. Parking area is a little small and requires adventure pass. Nice restroom in the lot. Overall a great hike! I believe it closes for the eagle nesting in Oct. so go now.

Low traffic on a Wednesday morning in mid September. Moderate rating due to elevation gain only. Footing mainly good, with a few rocky patches and minimal rock scrambling at the peak. Nice lake and forest views. Took 1 hr 45 mins up, 1 hr 35 mins down. Would do this again.

I enjoyed the various views from the trail.

Moderate climb all the way to the top, great trail!

My husband and I went today with our 4 yr old daughter, 8 year old son, and 6 month old dog. We went out 2 miles and back 2 miles. Trail is narrow and rocky at the beginning. Tons of traffic on a Sunday afternoon. Trail gets wider and smoother after about 3/4 of a mile. Can't wait to leave the kids and dog at home and go the distance.

L

semi LOTR scenery! well cared for trail that's dog friendly and great for kids seven and up.

We really enjoyed this trail. It was a Saturday and there was a good bit of traffic. The trail was very easy to follow and seemed well maintained. The views are amazing and you can even witness some of the burned area from the 2007 fires. The weather happened to be amazing for it being the middle of August... Definitely an enjoyable hike!

Good trail to get away from the summer heat. Started at 6:30am was 54* ended at 9:30 it was 78*. Easy to Moderate trail.Would recommend this trail. Great view of Big Bear Lake at the top. Had a couple groups of trail runners, other hikers and a mountain biker pass by but not too crowded for a Saturday morning. Flush toilets at the parking lot. There was a drinking fountain at there also but it was not working. No water along they way

Was a nice afternoon hike!

Trail was great, left at 11am which made for a rather hot hike but not strenuous. Definitely recommend this hike. You will also need a 5$ adventure pass that we picked up at the beer/wine store in Fawnskin about a half mile up the road. Only saw about 8 hikers on the entire trail but it was a Tuesday.

July 2016 Went today, excellent hike. Parking lot was full at 9:30am, we made do with a 1/2 spot behind another parked car. We had a few groups of mt bikers coming down at the beginning of the trail, but everyone was polite, used good trail etiquette. After about half way up, we only saw a few more hikers & bikers. Very serene. Warm day (80's) but intermittent sun/shade made it comfortable enough. Would definitely do this hike again. P-lot was half empty when we returned. Also, remember to get the $5 Adventure Pass for your car (bought ours at Fawnskin Market).

This was an enduring hike but we didn't give up and we made it all the way up!

Great hike! Steep at the beginning but levels out after that. Beautiful, mostly shaded hike through a really pretty area. Very nice views at the top. Best to start early, gets hot in the afternoon. About 7 miles RT. Take your time, enjoy the experience. Great little day hike.

great little single track